Subscribe Today

I Bought The 2nd Sled - Please Help Me Diagnose Minor Things

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby Elan Rider » February 13th, 2006, 1:47 pm

It's nothing very special but it will do the job. I was considering a sled with more power but I've gotten hooked on small sleds for a few reasons.

This is the 1987 Bravo I bought today:

[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/Turnsalot/BravoFront.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/Turnsalot/BravoRear.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/Turnsalot/BravoEngine.jpg[/img]

The previous owner put a new windshield and track on it, but unfortunately lent it to a guy who beat it pretty hard. He told me the sled was clean and straight but when I showed up he apologized for how his friend had abused it and immediately offered to substantially lower his advertised price. I agreed and we moved on.

I hope this board will entertain a few questions as I start putting this sled back into order:

1. The engine is mounted in a "cradle" of sorts and it's only anchored via flex mounts at the front and rear of the engine. Such as it is, the motor does move to and fro (lateral)as torque is applied to the drive belt... a couple of inches at the head, is this normal? It does not hit against the frame stringer where the crankshaft passes to the primary clutch, but it does flex quite a bit. The two mounts I can find are tight and I can't find a third mount adjacent to (or below) the motor.

The motor starts fine, on three pulls dosed out 130psi and the sled in general seems to be alright. I'll be grateful for whatever answers you guys can give me for these and future questions.
Elan Rider

Postby Snowman1000 » February 13th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Well about the whole engine shifting thing I dont think that thats right but maybe thats o.k. I dont know there was a post on here a while about building aluminum mounts to stop this shifting because I guess its not good but that was on different sleds so I really dont know you mighht want to look up those posts I do believe redneck dan posted some might want to give it a look.
On tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
Snowman1000

Postby ZR800XC » February 13th, 2006, 2:46 pm

I've had one Bravo through the years and mine did the same thing. The engine moved quite a bit. If this is right I don't know, but I know mine did it. Keeping the engine somewhat stationary will provide better performance by keeping the clutches aligned and the C.D. correct.

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Postby 73elan » February 13th, 2006, 2:49 pm

looks like you got a nice little sled there, congrats!

as for the motor, singles do shake quite a bit. when you say inches do you mean maybe an inch either way from center? or a couple inches either way? i wouldn't be concerned with about an inch either way but a couple either way i think is a bit much.
1973 Ski-doo Elan 250
1976 Ski-doo Olympique 300
1978 Moto-ski Mirage
73elan

Postby Elan Rider » February 13th, 2006, 3:06 pm

From extreme to extreme, a couple of inches total. A buddy of mine visited tonight and after looking at the size of the rubber motor mount grommets thought the sled might be designed to have that much flex. It's really an interesting mount, just a steel saddle with mounts fore and aft.

I'm not a snowmobile mechanic... I'm certified through Triumph motors to work on motorcycles but I'm a far cry from a true sled gearhead. Anyways, I've got a good feeling about this sled and it's plainjane enough I won't whine if I dent it.

Now I'm going to visit mfgsupply.com and denniskirk.com to find out about slider replacements and new runners for the skis since they're completely shot.

Thanks!
Elan Rider

Postby Elan Rider » February 13th, 2006, 11:42 pm

I've R&R'd the belt on my elan but I'm not sure how the bravo changes out. The secondary is a lot stiffer so how do you pry the sheaves apart?

Might need to know one day...
Elan Rider

Return to Vintage Sleds Board