Subscribe Today

How to resleeve an engine?

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby Bar It! » March 3rd, 2006, 1:51 pm

What AHood said......
Give us this day our daily braaaaaaaap!
Bar It!

Postby lowtekrednek » March 11th, 2006, 1:26 pm

[quote=AHood]post a wanted add for parts on some vintage classifieds. theres no way you or anyother back yard types could every properly resleave a cylinder yourself.[/quote]

Ahood-
wtf- are you an a$$hole?
you talk about "backyard types" resleeving a cylinder- yet apparently you have a tough time spelling.

are you as smart as you like to pass yourself off as being??

some guys on here don't have a machine shop at their disposal, so they look for an alternative to paying somebody to do the job.

I hope that I am not being an a$$hole myself- but that is the impression I get from you- if you have advice, go ahead and share it, but don't belittle the guys looking for the advice.

lowtekrednek
lowtekrednek

Postby 396F/A » March 11th, 2006, 3:57 pm

AHood has his head soaked with to much sea water from swimmin` across that salty pond to find them Yam engines. ;)
It is NOT difficult for a rookie to re-sleeve a ROTAX in his back yard, & DOO a good job of it. I have done a few.
396F/A

Postby outagas » March 11th, 2006, 7:18 pm

[quote=AHood] theres no way you or anyother back yard types could every properly resleave a cylinder yourself.[/quote]
just curious, are YOU a back yard type?
outagas

Postby ZR800XC » March 12th, 2006, 3:28 am

If you want to try it yourself, go down to the local machine shop and ask them if you can watch them sleeve a cylinder, it will be clear how you do it if you can see how it's done. It's quite easy. This only thing is you'll have to take it to a shop to have it finish bored...most of the time it's easier to take it to them and have them do it in one shot. Probably won't cost you much more. I believe that some "backyard types" (LOL) are probably some of the best sled wrenches around.

Back to sleeving....most of your aftermarket sleeves aren't going to line up really well with your stock ports. It's gonna take a little grinding to match the ports of the steel liner to the original ports after it's in place...This is highly recommended for best performance. And when you're done with that make sure and chamfer the edge of the ports or the sharp edge of the opening will sqeegey the oil off the rings and you'll be back where you started!

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Postby AHood » March 12th, 2006, 10:57 am

[quote=lowtekrednek][quote=AHood]post a wanted add for parts on some vintage classifieds. theres no way you or anyother back yard types could every properly resleave a cylinder yourself.[/quote]

Ahood-
wtf- are you an a$$hole?
you talk about "backyard types" resleeving a cylinder- yet apparently you have a tough time spelling.

some guys on here don't have a machine shop at their disposal, so they look for an alternative to paying somebody to do the job.

I hope that I am not being an a$$hole myself- but that is the impression I get from you- if you have advice, go ahead and share it, but don't belittle the guys looking for the advice.

lowtekrednek[/quote]

there ya go attack my spelling typical move so i didnt proof read who cares. yeah i probably came across as an a$$ hole. but thats the best advise the guy could get. i have acess to a machine shop, presses, mills, lathes, ect and i dont think i would even be comfortable resleaving an engine. hes far better off bying a good used cylinder for like 35 bucks off ebay or else where and bolting it on rather than spending 100 something bucks for a new sleeve and then trying to install it by himself with out proper tools.
AHood

Postby AHood » March 12th, 2006, 11:04 am

does any one know if this guys engine has cast in or pressed in sleeves. i know yamahas have cast in sleeves and cant be pressed out so they need to be machined out with a lathe or a mill with a boring bar.
AHood

Postby AHood » March 12th, 2006, 11:08 am

edited
AHood

Postby AHood » March 12th, 2006, 11:09 am

[quote=lowtekrednek]

lowtekrednek[/quote]

and yes
AHood

Postby johnd651 » March 12th, 2006, 2:03 pm

i have no clue what type of cylinder it is anymore...everyone i talk to says someting different...

i had a snowmobile guy look and say resleave...cant bore
and a machine shop guy say bore dont spend money on sleave

i dont know...and where could i pick up a sleave if i needed to
yay...it works...just body work left now
[url=http://www.putfile.com/johnd651]Pics of the Sled[/url]
johnd651

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Sleds Board