Subscribe Today

how to???

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

how to???

Postby yamaha440 » March 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

what kind of mods could i do to my yamaha exciter 440 it runs stock at 50hp but ive heard that i could easily get 75hp out of
it. i would like it to go faster without emtying my wallet
yamaha440

how to???

Postby AHood » March 3rd, 2006, 12:50 pm

well i can see your not interested in paying to have a real engine built so good luck with that. and when i said it can make 75 hp easily i mean easy for me to do, cause ive built these engines before. anyone else that doesnt build race engines will probably just tell you to cut the heads and put twin carbs on it.
AHood

how to???

Postby outagas » March 3rd, 2006, 1:59 pm

WTF? can anyone just answer what has to be done to his motor?
outagas

how to???

Postby ashley* » March 3rd, 2006, 3:22 pm

440 exciters are easy to mod. i did a few.

cut the heads and put twin carbs on it.
skunk is my luv biscuit
ashley*

how to???

Postby AHood » March 3rd, 2006, 3:38 pm

[quote=outagas]WTF? can anyone just answer what has to be done to his motor?[/quote]

okay you need to make a cylinder spacer, you need to cut the piston top, you need to cut the cylinder top, you need to turn a set of free air heads into custom fan heads and turn the chambers, you need to do some cylinder porting, and you need to make two billet reed stuffer/dual carb adapters and run 40 mm mikunis, you need to convert it to CDI ignition. then maybe get an aaen or other pipe for it. then maybe you will realize the full potential of this motor. like i said its easy for me cause i do this type of stuff.
AHood

how to???

Postby ashley* » March 3rd, 2006, 3:45 pm

its easy for you? you've done alot of them?
why would you say it needs to be converted to CDI ignition?
exciter 440's HAD cdi ignition.
geez i'm a chick and i know that much!
c'mon,have you really worked on them????? [no offense]
luv,ash.
skunk is my luv biscuit
ashley*

how to???

Postby AHood » March 3rd, 2006, 3:50 pm

[quote=ashley*]its easy for you? you've done alot of them?
why would you say it needs to be converted to CDI ignition?
exciter 440's HAD cdi ignition.
geez i'm a chick and i know that much!
c'mon,have you really worked on them????? [no offense]
luv,ash.[/quote]

well your right thats true my bad ive been working with the earlier reed motors that had points. but if i was woking on say a 78 or later exciter i would convert to the earlier GPX CDI ignition since you can buy aftermarket CDI boxes from hewtech that are superior to the oem exciter boxes
AHood

how to???

Postby ashley* » March 3rd, 2006, 3:56 pm

just givin' ya a hard time. you vintage guys are cooler than the trasher wangers.
they are a rough bunch.
skunk is my luv biscuit
ashley*

how to???

Postby ZR800XC » March 3rd, 2006, 4:27 pm

A buddy that I used to race with was always intrigued by the 440 reed valve fanners. He always raced GPXs and really thought the Exciter had potential beyond a little kids sled. One day, it hit the drawing boards. They tried everything.....I mean EVERYTHING. At one time they had GPX cylinders on the thing. (don't call me crazy, I know GPX cylinders are piston port. It can be done, trust me.) What they came up with that worked the best was they used the exact same exhaust port as a 77 SRX, and the same transfer timing in the stock Exciter jugs. The guy was working directly with a machinist and had the heads cut to his desired compression ratio and squish band. I don't think they went radical on compression and even ran pump gas. Head mods are inexpensive and vary from guy to guy, so I can't give you the exact specs. He used AAEN pipes for and SRX and 38mm miks. If I remember right it had Boyesen Reeds in it. They found a set that fit from some dirt bike engine. I can't remember now, but they either used pistons from a GPX or SRX in it. It's all vague now, it's been a few years ago and I no longer race with the guy, but I do know it was eatin' GPXs for lunch and he didn't feel he had it tuned in to it's potential yet. If you want to make this engine run, you're gonna have to be creative. It was intended as a relitively low strung trail sled. All you have to do is put the high strung attitude of a racer in it!

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

how to???

Postby ashley* » March 3rd, 2006, 4:35 pm

[quote=yamaha440] i would like it to go faster without emtying my wallet[/quote]

so much for that.
skunk is my luv biscuit
ashley*

Next

Return to Vintage Sleds Board