Subscribe Today

how to???

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

how to???

Postby outagas » March 3rd, 2006, 8:22 pm

No doubt. before doing all that work, it would seam to make sence to me to just simply get a differant sled/motor. really what is the point of putting that much money into a motor, just to get it to go as fast as some other vintage seld cans already go in stock form?..... well you know what i mean.
maybe just giving some realistic idea`s would be in order? like he said, he would like to go faster, but he did`nt say anything about putting the money into it, that you could just buy another faster sled for.
outagas

how to???

Postby outagas » March 3rd, 2006, 8:23 pm

Just wondering though. exactly what are you saying when you say "cut the piston top?"
outagas

how to???

Postby lowtekrednek » March 4th, 2006, 12:39 am

if you file the piston top - assuming you don't have l-rings, lined up with the exhaust port, it effectively raises your exhaust port timing.
how much? you'll have to experiment- file a small amount, run it, file a little more, run it- etc
if you have l-rings it'll be obvious why you can't doo it
you can cut the top of the exhaust port instead, but if you go too far cyls are more expensive to replace than pistons.
always file/ grind less than you think you should, you can always file more later
lowtekrednek

how to???

Postby SRX 440A » March 4th, 2006, 1:05 am

cheapest route would be clutching/studding. you could set it up to holeshot real good. you need some knowledge in that area though.
back in the day,we stuck a srv 540 motor in a 79 exciter.
that woke it up.
SRX 440A

how to???

Postby Late Braker » March 4th, 2006, 3:48 am

Speed cost money...How fast do you want to spend ?
Late Braker

how to???

Postby AHood » March 4th, 2006, 4:14 am

[quote=outagas]Just wondering though. exactly what are you saying when you say "cut the piston top?"[/quote]

lowtek has got the right idea, but for god sake dont use a file, and in this aplication you would need to cut the entire top timing edge.
AHood

how to???

Postby AHood » March 4th, 2006, 4:20 am

[quote=Late Braker]Speed cost money...How fast do you want to spend ?[/quote]

this is entirely true. i get pretty sick of people who want to mod there sleds all up and beat all there buddies but dont want to spend more than 100$ to do it. theres no magic hp spray in a can. and dont say nitrous thats big money too. even clutching his exciter will cost money cause thers no readily available clutch tuning parts for the old yamaha clutches so he would have to upgrade to a comet or polaris clutch. now you looking at 1 1/4 belts and more problems and more money.
AHood

how to???

Postby ZR800XC » March 4th, 2006, 12:39 pm

I like the SRV 540 Idea! The SRV was in a higher state of tune as well as having more displacement. Because asking how you make an Exciter faster is kinda like askin' "how do you make a Chevette faster?". You put a 350 in it, of course! You'll never be able to make the Exciter "FAST" as the cylinder casting doesn't allow for the propper mods to make it run efficient. You'd have to do some welding and such, this is where the money is going to come in. The rest is all knowledge....

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

how to???

Postby AHood » March 4th, 2006, 6:19 pm

i dont think welding would be required. the exciter and reed fan cylinders actually have some material in cetain areas that the GPX cylinder doesnt. i have had to weld GPX cylinders to achieve port shapes that i wanted. i would not have to do that with the EXciter cylinder, although the exciter requires more work in other areas that the GPX doesnt. hence all the surface cutting i described. with some of the mods i have outlined the exciter can be built to about the power level of a mod GPX motor.
AHood

Previous

Return to Vintage Sleds Board