Subscribe Today

These cat motors any good??

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby sno*jetfreak2 » March 11th, 2006, 2:24 pm

I've heard anywhere between 90 and 120hp.

Bah.. I've got pipes built for the 77Z. Sure they are a few years old but eh oh well.
"I find that your American beer is a lot like making love in a canoe, it's ****ing close to water."
Montey Python
sno*jetfreak2

Postby ZR800XC » March 11th, 2006, 3:06 pm

I guarantee 110 is possible. Those Z cylinders'll make good power 'freak. You gotta have the right guy do the cylinders and upper case half. I'm over 100 on mine right now with stock pipes. And the stock pipes have a diverging cone that's too long to make good HP numbers when the cylinders are ported to run at high RPM. I can pass along my notes to where I'm at now, and I can even send you the pipe blueprints I have that are supposed to work. I might take a couple trips to the dyno room to get 'em dialed in.

The nine port engines are capable of even more. My pipes are coming for that next week and I'll be able to get it dynoed.

AHood, who told you that those triple RXLs run? You've been hangin' out at Vintagesleds.com too long! Those RXL guys are runnin' 500cc engines and still can't get in front of the Cats!

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Postby SRX 440A » March 11th, 2006, 4:19 pm

you know, i don't want to offend anyone on here,but of all the vintage races i went to this winter,i don't think i saw a cat get 1st place in any class. [drags NOT ovals]
usually it was a l/c twister,srx,rupp,bombi,etc.
possibly NITRO340FA could elaborate on this point,as he went to alot more of them i'm sure.

ot: leaving tomorrow early to pickup about 4 sleds and a truckload of parts from various wankers who have no idea what the stuff is worth [my favorite peeps] supposedly a 76 340 starfire motor in the lot.[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/textphotobucket/beavisnbutthead.gif[/img]
SRX 440A

Postby OldCatRacer » March 12th, 2006, 5:37 am

[quote=SRX 440A]you know, i don't want to offend anyone on here,but of all the vintage races i went to this winter,i don't think i saw a cat get 1st place in any class. [drags NOT ovals]
usually it was a l/c twister,srx,rupp,bombi,etc.
possibly NITRO340FA could elaborate on this point,as he went to alot more of them i'm sure.

ot: leaving tomorrow early to pickup about 4 sleds and a truckload of parts from various wankers who have no idea what the stuff is worth [my favorite peeps] supposedly a 76 340 starfire motor in the lot.[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/textphotobucket/beavisnbutthead.gif[/img][/quote]Actually Cat's held their own forever at drags it's just that nowadays they moved on. Trust me we never worried about many of those old sleds you named in the heyday of racing oval or drags. I laugh when I see a Rupp is winning the class and think to myself must not be much talent or competition out there. Anyway they all run well.
lancetyner@yahoo.com
OldCatRacer

Postby sno*jetfreak2 » March 12th, 2006, 6:26 am

ZR if you wouldn't mind sharing your notes. Drop me an email @ gamefoo21(at)gmail.com.

I wouldn't mind hearing what you get on the dyno.
"I find that your American beer is a lot like making love in a canoe, it's ****ing close to water."
Montey Python
sno*jetfreak2

Postby AHood » March 12th, 2006, 10:39 am

[quote=ZR800XC]
AHood, who told you that those triple RXLs run? You've been hangin' out at Vintagesleds.com too long! Those RXL guys are runnin' 500cc engines and still can't get in front of the Cats![/quote]

i asked about the RXL triple motors on vintage sleds and seemed to get the same response. i dont know whos been running these motors but theres no way a 440 twin should beat a 440 triple, but aparently they do. i dont know why i havnt seen the inside of a triple rxl motor, but theres so much more potentail for port area in a triple. i dont know if the rxl motors had triple exhaust ports but they certainly should. and i would certainly add them if i built an rxl. basically the explanation i got was polaris and others had stopped building factory super mod motors which allowed skidoo to take the upper hand with there rotax motors.
AHood

Postby SRX 440A » March 12th, 2006, 12:48 pm

[quote=OldCatRacer][/quote]Actually Cat's held their own forever at drags it's just that nowadays they moved on. Trust me we never worried about many of those old sleds you named in the heyday of racing oval or drags. I laugh when I see a Rupp is winning the class and think to myself must not be much talent or competition out there. Anyway they all run well.[/quote]

you misunderstood,they haven't moved on,they are at the races-just not winning. tigres,z's are showing up,just suckin' hind tit for some reason.
SRX 440A

Postby SRX 440A » March 12th, 2006, 12:55 pm

[quote=AHood][quote=ZR800XC]
AHood, who told you that those triple RXLs run? You've been hangin' out at Vintagesleds.com too long! Those RXL guys are runnin' 500cc engines and still can't get in front of the Cats![/quote]

i asked about the RXL triple motors on vintage sleds and seemed to get the same response. i dont know whos been running these motors but theres no way a 440 twin should beat a 440 triple, but aparently they do. i dont know why i havnt seen the inside of a triple rxl motor, but theres so much more potentail for port area in a triple. i dont know if the rxl motors had triple exhaust ports but they certainly should. and i would certainly add them if i built an rxl. basically the explanation i got was polaris and others had stopped building factory super mod motors which allowed skidoo to take the upper hand with there rotax motors.[/quote]

something must have changed,because the rxl's were untouchable in the late 70's. steve thorsen won back to back eagle river derbies in '77 and '78 on the polaris rxl.
SRX 440A

Postby ZR800XC » March 12th, 2006, 2:22 pm

Yes, something did change...Back in 77-78 Polaris had the best handling chassis HANDS DOWN! The other factories, Doo and Cat mainly, caught up very quick. Cat's engine development kinda took a wrong turn, they stuck with that suck a$$ 1/2ree 1/2 piston port design but it still worked better than the Fugi. Meanwhile, if you can remember back to '80 Ski Doo took hold of oval racing dominance for two reasons, their offset chassis was awesome and their engines had all the right stuff.

[quote=OldCatRacer]I laugh when I see a Rupp is winning the class and think to myself must not be much talent or competition out there.[/quote]

ROFLMAO

Alot of people still show up to drags with their sleds set up the old way. The guys that are applying the new ideas into the old sleds are the guys that are mopping up. I collect Rupps, I know they're not fast, so I got a good laugh off this!!!!

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Postby SRX 440A » March 12th, 2006, 3:19 pm

back in the 80's and early 90's it was still pretty much the same show as it is now at say, waconia. srx,twister,bombardier in the finals. hardly ever see a cat in the finals. if ever.
i've owned several cat z's [76-77] but was never impressed enough to keep them. they are sharp looking sleds,but after getting a few 76-77 srx's-forget it. those z's were nowhere near as strong. just personal experience,not dissing any brands. i like all vintage muscle sleds,they each have their own good and bad points.
SRX 440A

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Sleds Board