Subscribe Today

These cat motors any good??

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby nitrofa340 » March 12th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Rupps arent fast? I beg to differ. My stock F/As will run with ANY free-air stockers in 500ft.
nitrofa340

Postby ZR800XC » March 13th, 2006, 2:30 am

Being a collector of all old sleds, I gotta say that no one brand has a distinct advantage over the other. The exception to this is Ski Doo. You can send your 454 to the Crank Shop and get back a monster that NO other sled is gonna beat. Not even a Rupp! All of the engines are completely capable of making the same HP of the next guy. It's all about set up. Making the most power you can, and then getting it to the ground. I've been to a few vintage races. Most the guys don't have a clear concept of the gig. Jetting, clutching, gearing. Most guys have never taken their engine to a dyno room to even know their peak HP and torque curves. I put no emphasis on what guys are doing today in the drags with their old timers. But, I have no time to make it to most races. So I really can't run my mouth about what my sleds can do either. But if I was to show up, I'd be runnin Rotax!!! Even though I'm partial to the Zs!...I have a 77 S/S Moto Ski and it straight up goes! F/A classes I'd have to be runnin' Kawi powered Cats....

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Postby nitrofa340 » March 13th, 2006, 2:46 am

I guess I was thinking free-airs and fans. The Rotax certianly has the most pontential in the liquid classes. But you are correct. Usually the sleds that win at the drags are the ones that have had the most testing/tuning. Set-up is everything, regardless of brand.
nitrofa340

Postby OldCatRacer » March 17th, 2006, 5:17 am

[quote=nitrofa340]I guess I was thinking free-airs and fans. The Rotax certianly has the most pontential in the liquid classes. But you are correct. Usually the sleds that win at the drags are the ones that have had the most testing/tuning. Set-up is everything, regardless of brand.[/quote]I agree with you on that.
lancetyner@yahoo.com
OldCatRacer

Previous

Return to Vintage Sleds Board