Subscribe Today

My new CAD progam!!!

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

My new CAD progam!!!

Postby ZR800XC » March 14th, 2006, 12:28 pm

I had a '73 Arctic Cat 650 EXT crankcase reproduced from billet by a friend of mine. He took the original case and put it in a cabinet and pushed a button. Laser beams went crazy inside for a few minutes...then a picture of the case poped up and it was ready to be cut. It took quite some time to make and the precise machining (line boring the crank journals, stator mounting area...) had to be done manually. All in all this was pretty slick, but the bill for the prototype case $4000.00!!!! Of course this was a "behind the scenes" part so the price varied from the bid a bit!

I'm a backyard type, right now I'm trying to make my own crankcase with this new mill I picked up today!
[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/mill1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

My new CAD progam!!!

Postby T'NT340rider » March 14th, 2006, 1:18 pm

[quote=lowtekrednek]a cad program will give you a picture of what you want.
a cam program will generate the program to machine your parts on the cnc.
I had to take a cad class when I was in tech school and it seemed to be geared toward drawing houses than machining parts- however you can use it for that.
we use GibbsCam where I work[/quote]

yep, know exactly what you mean, In high school, we used Autodesk to draw the item, then converted the file to MasterCam to get ready for it to be milled.
Proud member of the Carhartt Clan Vintage Snowmobile Club.

-I am a 315er, and proudly support the other 315ers at www.315er.net fight for Wayne County, Webster Sucks!!
T'NT340rider

My new CAD progam!!!

Postby ashley* » March 14th, 2006, 1:29 pm

[quote=ZR800XC]Well, with all this talk of backyard types, I had to go and prove that I could make AHoods reed stuffer with a program that didn't cost as much as my house!

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/stuffer1.jpg[/img]

.[/quote]

that looks like a schematic for a pocket puzzy!
skunk is my luv biscuit
ashley*

My new CAD progam!!!

Postby AHood » March 14th, 2006, 1:54 pm

[quote=T'NT340rider]AHood, what CAD program do you have? I got Autodesk Inventor 10, i got the basics down, and its fun to use.[/quote]

its solid works 04 version. its handy and very easy to use. i havnt used mastercam but i believe the solid works files will plug right into mastercam and your ready to make chips. i gotta find someone with a 5 axis CNC machine center to try out some projects on.
AHood

My new CAD progam!!!

Postby Str8_CaNaDiaN » March 14th, 2006, 2:21 pm

I do custom cnc machining in my shop. Let me know if you guys/gals need any work done. Even ideas you have, maybe we can bring them to life for you. :D
Str8_CaNaDiaN[b]Str8_CaNaDiaN[/b]
Str8_CaNaDiaN

My new CAD progam!!!

Postby kawicat » March 16th, 2006, 12:54 pm

Ed, that drill is more advanced then what I use. I draw the part with a crayon on some billet stock, then use a dull wood chisel and rock to "machine" it.

Any pics of the 650 cases? They must look pretty trick if you didn't ever blast them!
[[green]RIDE HARD, PLAY HARD, STAY HARD, DIE HARD![/green]
kawicat

My new CAD progam!!!

Postby ZR800XC » March 16th, 2006, 1:54 pm

Oh, they're bad azz! I'll post pix when I get time. The plan was to produce these and have them available for sale, but plans have changed due to price...Just the price of the chunck of billet to make the cases from was crazy. So for now there's only the prototype..

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

My new CAD progam!!!

Postby AHood » March 16th, 2006, 5:16 pm

yeah i would love to see that. fresh cut billet aluminum is almost as beautiful as a hot woman.
AHood

My new CAD progam!!!

Postby T'NT340rider » March 17th, 2006, 12:19 am

[quote=AHood]yeah i would love to see that. fresh cut billet aluminum is almost as beautiful as a hot woman.[/quote]

and its cheaper in the long-run too:B
Proud member of the Carhartt Clan Vintage Snowmobile Club.

-I am a 315er, and proudly support the other 315ers at www.315er.net fight for Wayne County, Webster Sucks!!
T'NT340rider

Previous

Return to Vintage Sleds Board