Subscribe Today

Reed cage.... Homebrew style.

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby sno*jetfreak2 » February 18th, 2007, 3:54 am

How hard would it be to take a Reed cage and make an adaptor that would make it bolt onto a HD style intake?

I know Ahood has done something sorta similar.

I can't run tuned pipes but the rules say nothing against having Reeds. Also the fuel economy boost would be nice for those long haul 100 mile races.

Any help would be appreciated.
"I find that your American beer is a lot like making love in a canoe, it's ****ing close to water."
Montey Python
sno*jetfreak2

Postby sledwrench » February 18th, 2007, 6:02 am

Just remember on some motors, simply adding a spacer block can really change the way it runs. I say try it, but don't test it on race day. You may need to adjust length for top performance. Hopefully you gain enough from the reeds to make up for outhouse engineering. It seems it should still be better than stock.

Can't you just make your own carbon fiber reeds to fit in the stock cage?
sledwrench

Postby AHood » February 18th, 2007, 1:32 pm

its possible to do what your talking about but its a compromise compared to a dedicated reed valve design. you dont want a big box that bolted onto the carb flange you have to try and integrate the reed into the flange with out adding to much length to the intake. too much length adds a ton of case volume which will reduce cylinder scavenging from having a low crank case compression ratio. you need to hold back from trying to fit a reed cage from something like a 250 dirt bike as this wil be way too large and will not work well in a situation where the intake is restricted a lot. go to this guys site[url=http://www.classickawasaki.com/aylors%20reed%20kits.htm]reed valve conversion[/url] you could do something like what that guy does with kawi triples. you could probably even fit one of his "kits" if the kawi bolt pattern is close to an HD pattern. but something tells me this project has an extremely low budget allowance and the kits can be expensive. hope that helps anyway.
AHood

Postby sno*jetfreak2 » February 19th, 2007, 5:35 am

Budget is just one of those things.

This is the discovery process, then I save the coin, and then I build the engine.

This engine is a pure piston port engine. I have the jug modified but I'd rather reduce the amount of bottom end loss from having the intake chopped open.

Might also just see how it runs, since right now its all on paper and the engine is in pieces.

It looks like the Kawi kit might fit. I'll have to get a better measure of the stud to stud distance and get in contact with him.

Thanks for the help guys.
"I find that your American beer is a lot like making love in a canoe, it's ****ing close to water."
Montey Python
sno*jetfreak2

Postby AHood » February 19th, 2007, 2:55 pm

[quote=sno*jetfreak2]Budget is just one of those things.

This is the discovery process, then I save the coin, and then I build the engine.

This engine is a pure piston port engine. I have the jug modified but I'd rather reduce the amount of bottom end loss from having the intake chopped open.

Might also just see how it runs, since right now its all on paper and the engine is in pieces.

It looks like the Kawi kit might fit. I'll have to get a better measure of the stud to stud distance and get in contact with him.

Thanks for the help guys.[/quote]

what engine are you starting with anyway? if you are serious about adding a reed cage you need to do it the way the kawi guy shows which means you should infatct machine or grind open the intake flange area where the reed cage inserts. this is the only way to get the reed cage close enough to the cylinder to prevent crank case compression loss. you will not loose low end power from doing that. bolting on a reed cage far away from the piston edge will result in a far worse loss of power. basically the only advantage here is fuel economy. sled engines dont need a large power spread to work. thats why they have cvt clutches that keep the engine at the power peak all the time. you will not gain dirt bike like midrange power spread from adding reeds and you could loose top end power.
AHood

Postby sno*jetfreak2 » February 19th, 2007, 3:18 pm

Well here's the thing, its going to be entered into 100 mile single cylinder races.

So its going to be spending most of its time at high rpm, launching from dead starts, and pulling around curves.

The motor is a big old single Hirth 200R 372cc.
Montey Python
sno*jetfreak2

Postby AHood » February 20th, 2007, 4:36 am

[quote=sno*jetfreak2]Well here's the thing, its going to be entered into 100 mile single cylinder races.

So its going to be spending most of its time at high rpm, launching from dead starts, and pulling around curves.

The motor is a big old single Hirth 200R 372cc.[/quote]

yeah im not sure it might be worth it and it might not. high rpm on that motor is probably like 5500 rpm. is that a 2 transfer layout motor too? you could probably pick a better motor than that. i dont like hirth motors.
AHood

Postby sno*jetfreak2 » February 20th, 2007, 9:29 am

Oh I probably could, but I have a fond dislike of yamaha. And well If I could I would find a Sachs 340R or C. But they are almost as rare as Hirth 194R's.

The engine should hit its peak around 6500 now with the mods its incured.
Montey Python
sno*jetfreak2

Postby Snojet Steve » February 23rd, 2007, 2:30 pm

372.. big ole 2 port that my 292 Astro jet would make short work of. Good for hauling wood though.
Snojet Steve

Postby AHood » February 24th, 2007, 5:07 am

[quote=Snojet Steve]372.. big ole 2 port that my 292 Astro jet would make short work of. Good for hauling wood though.[/quote]

exactly i love how he says he doesnt like yamaha but the yamaha is pretty much the best single cylinder vintage engine you could hope to get. so much potential and used in so many years and configurations. you have piston port fan cylinders SR kit piston cylinder Sr kit heads Reed valve GP cylinders and the big daddy the SR292R.

theres a sachs 340R on ebay right now. good luck buying that but im not even impressed it looks to have a small piston port intake. the SR292 would eat it.
AHood

Next

Return to Vintage Sleds Board