Subscribe Today

Hard to start

If you're looking for advice or if you have a tuning tip for your fellow snowmobilers, this is the board for you.

Hard to start

Postby kench87 » February 12th, 2007, 10:51 am

I own a 2000 xc sp polaris. It has a racing clutch and non-stock exhaust. Last year it was a ***** to start. by the end of the season one ofthe cyclinders would fill with gas if it sat over night. so this year i took it apart and found that the choke on carberator on the cyclinder that was filling with gas was stuck on so i fix it and also found that the oil injector was stuck partically open so i fix that. Now everytime i want to start it i have to pull the spark plugs, then spray some starting fluid in. Then I have to jack the back up and hold the throttle open and pull numerous times to get it to start. after you hold it wide open for 3 minutes or so it runs the rest of the day strong. You can stop for hours and when you come back, it starts with one pull.
kench87

Hard to start

Postby outagas » February 12th, 2007, 1:30 pm

hey man...starter fluid is REAL REAL bad for two strokes..I just cant emphisize that enough!!! if ya gotta prime it like that, mix up some two stroke oil with gas, at about 50:1, and use that to squirt in there..
anyway, if it was floading out just from setting over night, that would be likely caused by a bad needle/seat..with the engine NOT running or being pulled over, the choke does nothing..

Next time ya go out to start it, just leave the sled setting normal, hit the choke, and pull it about 5 times or so, then pull the plugs and see if their a bit wet, or bone dry??

are you raising the back of the sled after you park for the night??
outagas

Hard to start

Postby MXZ1983 » February 14th, 2007, 3:24 am

yeah, like he said, dont use any starter fluid in a two stroke. it is horrible for it. mix the gas. dont use anymore starting fluid.
MXZ1983

Hard to start

Postby ZR800XC » February 17th, 2007, 3:14 pm

Try shutting the gas off when it's sitting...Maybe you have a bad needle/seat and it's flooding when it sits for a period of time. This would be my guess if you have a cylinder/crankcase filling with gasoline and you have to hold it wide open to clean it out. This could lead to engine failure too as the fuel going into the case is unmixed with oil and is washing the oil off the bearing surfaces and it takes quite a while for the mix to reach outer bearings after this happens. If you're gonna use starting fluid, shoot it in the air box so the engine fires on the vapors...as these guys said, straight ether on the cylinder walls is bad news.

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Return to Tech Talk