Subscribe Today

Chaincase gearing for performance

If you're looking for advice or if you have a tuning tip for your fellow snowmobilers, this is the board for you.

Postby QWKSLVRZ06 » January 10th, 2009, 3:53 am

Hello,
In reading the past SnoGoer it talked about gearing for riding in the mountains. This got me thinking about gearing for performance trail riding. I have done some research but still unsure of what would be the best gear change and what exactly is needed. My sled is an 06 Switchback 900 144 inch with the following modifications-SLP pipe and silencer, SLP head, V-Force 3 reeds, SLP ram air kit/radiator delete, SLP clutch kit and studs. I am looking for outstanding wholeshot and 1/4 mile performance. Top end is not that important to me. Does anyone have any experience with gear change combos?
Thanks!
Never argue with an Idiot,they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
QWKSLVRZ06

Postby kenlacy » January 10th, 2009, 11:23 am

For least rolling resistance, use the largest lower gear you can. Then change your upper gear. 1 Tooth smaller, increases your holeshot but hurts your top end. You may have to get a different size chain. When deciding a combo, 1 upper tooth removed, would be the same as adding 2 lower teeth. Otherway as well, if you added an upper tooth, that would be the same as subtracting 2 lower teeth.

I am not sure what you have for bottom gear, but lets say you have a 39, then if you can find a 41 (probably the largest you can run). Since you added two teeth on the bottom, if you subtract one from your top gear, you now have the same ratio as before but less rolling resistance. Now if you want to get more of a holeshot, just change your top gear by removing one toothe at a time til you get what you want. It is going to be different for everyone.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby QWKSLVRZ06 » January 11th, 2009, 1:24 am

Thank you for the response, sounds like a clear explanation! Thanks again!
Never argue with an Idiot,they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
QWKSLVRZ06

Return to Tech Talk