Subscribe Today

TWINS VS TRIPLES

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

TWINS VS TRIPLES

Postby ostapowich » December 7th, 2001, 10:06 am

it's for sure that twins with same displacement normally have more torque but,they also have less h.p and if you know what you're talking aboutthe highest h.p doesn't always mean the higher torque.
simple physics,,,,,2 motors with the same displacement ,,1 is a twin,, 1 is a triple,,
the twin has a longer stroke,,or a bigger bore,either way, there is more distance or more weight in that cylinder,,,twins may have the pulling torque on the bottom end but, a triple has the legs on the top,,, why?,,,triples either have less bore width or less stroke.
notice who the multi time winners are at the world series of ice drags are?
mike knapp-yamaha triple,,prostock
gary querrel-open mod 800,heavymod 800,yamaha triple.

and they win out quite often against beautifully engineered triples ,, with their 4's

*This Message was edited on 07-Dec-01 03:08 PM by ostapowich*
ostapowich

TWINS VS TRIPLES

Postby ostapowich » December 7th, 2001, 11:23 am

THE MANUFACTURERS GET YOU TO BUY THERE TWINS,, BY USING THEIR SLICK AD CAMPAIGNS.
SAME RETAILER HIGH PRICE,,,,,, LESS MANUFACTURER COST.
WHO WOULD WANT TO BUY A TWIN 5 YEARS AGO?
VERY FEW PEOPLE!!!
ostapowich

TWINS VS TRIPLES

Postby Burky » December 7th, 2001, 11:33 am

One of the things that is often forgotten is for a set total displacement, each cylinder in a triple is only 1/3. This means the piston is smaller and lighter, allowing a lighter connecting rod and so on down the rotating assembly. A lighter assembly allows the piston to reach higher travel speeds before reaching the structural limits of the con rod. This allows higher RPM for the same displacement. Since HP is primarily a function of RPM, a triple can turn a higher RPM and make hp doing so. Less torque is available, which is where a twin shines, but with the types of clutching we have available, higher RPM is easier to accommodate than more torque. I have a triple, a twin, and even a single. they all are different, and none is perfect. They are all different answers to different questions.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

TWINS VS TRIPLES

Postby PowDar » December 7th, 2001, 11:40 am

You're forgetting the lighter weight. Try and compare you average 800 triple to your average 800 twin. Or even a 700 triple. Hell, the ZRT 600 is in the same ballpark as the ZR 800 (not sure exactly) and guess what? That ZR 800 makes more power. Torque and HP. Power to weight ratios here bud. I ain't gonna do the exact math, but I'm sure you get the picture. Oh, and if you think those Vmax 4s are stock, think again. I bet you could lift one of those sleds by the front bumper with one arm. Lightweight. Cuz, it don't need suspension. It's only going straight down a flat strip of ground. You try to put that same engine in a chassis that has lots of suspension, is gonna get pounded by moguls, and you have one heavy sonnuva b***h. That is, unless you use super expensive lightweight materials like the Pro snocrossers. So yah, the manufacturers are building cheaper sleds. That's fine by me. I don't want to pay a fortune for a sled that's only good for the occaisonal lake.

I wanted a twin 5 years ago. (That RMK 700 came out and kicked some serious triple ass...)
----------------------------
I can't think of a good signature so this will have to do for now.
PowDar

TWINS VS TRIPLES

Postby ostapowich » December 7th, 2001, 11:48 am

IN REPLY TO POWDAR,,yes welcome to my world i realize they're not stock but,, the point was,about the rotating mass of a 4 cylinder as opposed to rotating mass of less cylinders with same displacement.and burky was right about higher rpm's and h.p,,, except or perhaps in cluding the fact that in a higher rpm engine you normally have a narrower power band,, which makes clutching all the more crucial.
what make makes you think sno-crossers ahve the leg up on draggers??
i'd guarantee you that a dragger has a much larger investment than a crosser does!
ostapowich

TWINS VS TRIPLES

Postby PowDar » December 7th, 2001, 2:20 pm

What I meant is snocrossers have to have better suspensions and a stronger chassis than a dragger. All a dragger needs is something to bolt the engine to that won't twist from the engine torque. Since snoxers need more suspension, and beefed up chassis, this equates to more weight...
Snocrossers at least have a base chassis (those 440s) to build on. Drag racers have to build each one from scratch. I have no idea who makes the bigger investment, but its definately not apples and apples here. Triples (and quads) have there area of expertise. Twins (and possibly singles ;) ) have their own.

Personally, I hope the manufacturers take the next step in automotive style build yer own: Engine style choice. Twin or triple? Instead of shoving the choice down our throats...
----------------------------
I can't think of a good signature so this will have to do for now.
PowDar

Return to Trash Talkers