Subscribe Today

Metal Shavings in Crank Case

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby wickie » November 25th, 2002, 2:52 am

Found some metal shavings in my crank case. What could be the cause and is it serious
wickie

Postby Just Ride It » November 25th, 2002, 3:03 am

Now you have me wondering, do you mean chain case?
Just Ride It

Postby wickie » November 25th, 2002, 3:14 am

Yes I guess so, Im not that good on the mechanical side or I would probably know the answer to my question
wickie

Postby Country » November 25th, 2002, 3:20 am

I saw the same thing in my wife's 99 MXZ600. We took the cover off and found that the gears for reverse were slightly wore. Probably from putting it into reverse too quickly. Everything else looked really good. With all the shavings on the dipstick, I thought it was going to look a lot worse. Taking the Chaincase apart was relatively easy. Read your manual or there was a good article in Snowgoer showing the steps.

Country
Country

Postby wickie » November 25th, 2002, 3:24 am

Thanks, that makes sense, the kids are not always that carefull about such things
wickie

Postby Shelbyboy48317 » November 25th, 2002, 3:50 am

What year is your machine? Have you ever changed your chaincase oil? You should change it every year if you ride alot.
Shelbyboy48317

Postby wickie » November 25th, 2002, 3:54 am

my machine is a 98 and I changed the oil last spring I ride about 3000km per year
wickie

Postby Johnny G » December 9th, 2002, 1:17 am

Yeah, this would be your chaincase brother. Your crankcase will not have any oil in it for all of us 2 stokers out there. If you changed the oil before, then drain it again, take off the cover, and visually inspect the gears. Notice any scrapings of any kind from anywhere within the housing. ( Aluminum or steel filings ) From there you can determine what's happening, or at least know something more to take to the dealer. That is one biggy right there. Places will try you with the mechanical background of a woman first. Not to say they don't know anything about our stuff that we like to get our hands and minds into, but rather the fact that most of them choose not to want to even think about it. If they find out that you don't know much, then a bad place of service will run with that one and use you as any car lot will. (Get it?) You did ask the right people this question. Not just my response, but use other people's response's also. ( try and determine the cause before hand and price certain replacement parts, then take that one to the shop, if you should not want to do the job yourself.) Maybe you don't have to replace anything? Find out thru free help and study before approaching the sevice counter. The kids slamming reverse maybe all that it is.? Chain oil and a spanking. I just ripped off my chain case cover myself. It was golden, but I replaced a top srocket for a lower gearing, then I put a synthetic gear lube in it. The synthetic is one you might want to consider also. I have had to know about oils alittle bit cause of my work place, and do know for a fact that a man made oil is better.
Ultra Perfect
Johnny G

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum