Subscribe Today

lug studs?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

lug studs?

Postby xlt;600craze » January 27th, 2003, 8:32 am

i was just wondering if any one has tried putting lug studs on their sled and if so how do the work and do they help you at all i know they are alot cheaper than regular studs
Derek Lewin
xlt;600craze

lug studs?

Postby indysp440 » January 27th, 2003, 9:49 am

i got 96 new woodys gold digger .9250 trail studs w/orange alum. backers and nuts for you for $120.00 shipped its 90 some bucks for 96 lug studs
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg[/img]
indysp440

lug studs?

Postby 01EDGEX » January 27th, 2003, 11:40 am

what are studs truly used for and do you have to have a special track or will any one work?
01EDGEX

lug studs?

Postby indysp440 » January 27th, 2003, 1:39 pm

yea studs work on all tracks and they help you take off and stop on ice or hard packed snow
indysp440

lug studs?

Postby Burky » January 27th, 2003, 9:45 pm

There are two items typically referred to as lug studs. One is made by Bergstrom, and called a trail grabber. It's basically a 5/16" headed screw with carbide added to the head. Goes into the lug of the track like a screw, and provides more traction than a bare track, but not as much as full studs. Som people claim that they fly out, others claim that you have to really abuse them to get them out. Search for "Bergstrom Trail Grabbers" on the web and you'll hit their website. The other style if a track lug stud, which is also a screw in item, but the head is more specific like the end of a stud. They can be found in any major catalog. Neither one is a full stud, but both provide a lot more traction than a bare track. They weigh much less and do not require cutting any holes in your track, which many people see as a benefit. I'm not running anything in my track right now, but if I put in anything, it would be one of these vice regular studs.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

lug studs?

Postby xlt;600craze » January 28th, 2003, 12:17 am

hey indy440 i dont want your godd**n studs they are a ripoff for used studs and i can get 250 lug screws for $20
Derek Lewin
xlt;600craze

lug studs?

Postby indysp440 » January 28th, 2003, 12:51 am

20 bucks they cant be much that must be the short screw ones and no carbide tips you get what you pay for !!!! oh and read again the studs are NEW

*This Message was edited on 28-Jan-03 05:53 AM by indysp440*
indysp440

lug studs?

Postby xcsp » January 28th, 2003, 4:19 am

Never used the lug-studs, figure if you want traction (stopping as well as acceleration) a regular stud is better. How much does a lug flex vs. a stud? More stress on the lug?

If you use the lug studs, remember to use tunnel protectors if they're not already in place!
xcsp

lug studs?

Postby Burky » January 28th, 2003, 10:05 am

The lug screws that run 20 bucks for a bag of 250 are made for ATV's vice snowmobiles. They are not filled with carbide, though they are a hardened steel. How they would work is up in the air, and to be honest I was going to run a comparison this season by putting Bergstrom Trail Grabbers on one half of the track and the inexpensive screws on the other side. The point would have been to test the rate of wear difference between them, but I didn't get to it before the season started. So if you use them, you are treading on new ground. I can't say how they would work, but if you don't ride a lot on roadside pavement, nor on badly chewed up dirt trails, then they might be a passable choice. Plan on replacing them annually until you get a baseline on how long they will last. They would have to be replaced before the heads wear away, or the shafts would be stuck in your track forever. And the price being asked for the studs on here is fine. I just don't prefer to drill my tracks if I don't have to, but that's striclty a personal choice.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

lug studs?

Postby ski-dont » January 28th, 2003, 10:35 am

I have been running the atv screws for 9 years and they work great if you use enough.I use 408 of them and it cost me about $35. Best part is they are cheap traction
ski-dont

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum