Subscribe Today

A Different View of Polaris for '04

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby sledneck213 » February 2nd, 2003, 12:56 pm

I've noticed as of late there has been a lot of talk about Polaris sleds and their lack of innovation. Everyone talks about the Rev and how Polaris needs to come out with something to compete with Ski-Doo. Well I feel as though Polaris is doing a fine job with what they are currently offering. I realize that they are changing graphics from year to year with some improvements each year, but doesn't every company do that with the exception of the years that they introduce a new design? With that being said, I agree that Polaris needs a new design to compete with the Rev and Firecat. Do they need it for 2004 though? For many across the U.S. there has been little to no winter this year. This has left many dealers with an enormous amount of sleds left over. For example, several dealers in Canada and in the Midwest have close to 100 sleds still in the crates. Some even have 2002's left. This puts them in a real tough situation. How can they go and order new 2004 sleds when they have so many 03's in house. This doesn't mean that Polaris is going to go under; instead they can build on what is already a strong lineup by improving issues and problems they experienced this year. I am sure for 2004 from Arctic Cat and Ski-Doo we will see more sleds put into the Rev and Firecat chassis's. They will make small changes to fix first year problems and add some "bold new graphics." So, from a marketing standpoint, I feel that Polaris is making the best decisions. I realize that it is tough for people to hold off and wait for Polaris to come out with a new design, but snowmobiling is a business and Polaris needs to do what is best for them from a marketing perspective. With the other companies already releasing their radically new snowmobiles, Polaris has the chance to evaluate their performance and what they brought to the table. They can then take that information and use it to build on their own sled to be competitive. I believe we will see a new design from Polaris for their 50th anniversary. When this sled appears, Ski-Doo's Rev and the Firecat will be two years old and people will be asking for something new from the two of them. Thanks for taking the time to read this and let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
Rick Kubecka
www.johnkubeckaandsons.s5.com
sledneck213

Postby FreezurBurnt » February 2nd, 2003, 1:26 pm

Well said;)
[b]ride Chelmsford,Northern Ont. area[/b]

[img]http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif[/img][img]https://www.snowgoer.com/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/3793/rig/my%20truck%20driver%20side%20neg.jpg[/img]
[green][b][i]01 ZR 600 early release[/b][/i][/green]
FreezurBurnt

Postby Titan01 » February 2nd, 2003, 1:56 pm

Very well said Sir. I would have to agree with you totally. Here is what I would like to see Polaris do for '05:

-Chassiswise:
Build something similar to the REV, with some sort of tubular front framework, similar to the REV's pyramidal shape with an A-arm front end. Drop the motor lower into the belly to lower the C.G. Finally, make it have smooth curves and a much better style than the REV. Get the weight down to around 440-450lbs dry legitimately...

-Motorwise:
Keep the current lineup of twins, but add some sort of direct injection, FICHT or otherwise.

Build a 700cc Triple based on the small block twins, with FICHT technology. Around 150hp.

Build a 1000cc Triple based on the Big Block Twins, with FICHT technology. Around 200hp.

Put these new triples into the new chassis, and shoot for around 495lbs dry weight. That would be one hot sled!! I don't think that triple market is dead, its just that people don't want all that extra weight.

I sure hope that they don't start to put motorcycle engines in their sleds, I think that direct inject two cycles are the way to go.
Titan01

Postby revmaniac » February 2nd, 2003, 4:58 pm

Anyone who's ridden a single pipe triple from ski-doo or yamaha knows that they are far superior in most ways, smoothness, sound, fuel economy, oil economy, clutch life, nvh, and the F111 7&8 showed that they could also have great bottom end torque as well. I too think if they could shave the weight there are still many of us who would rather have a lightweight triple. A single pipe triple shoehorned in the rev chassis somehow would be my dream for 2004!!!
revmaniac

Postby 97Mach1 » February 3rd, 2003, 12:37 am

Probably all Polaris will do for 2004 is offer more colors and different stickers, again, for the 4th year in a row. (or is it 5?)

Yawn..

Judging from what I see on the trail, I think the ONLY color I haven't seen a polaris in is green and orange. Maybe they can start in on pastel colors...

If you don't think the REV is the wave of the future, ride one and see for yourself. I have ridden one, and can't believe how well it rides, and how comfortable it is.

There have been a few people that have put a triple/triple in it, so it can be done.

I think the 440 proX would have been cool if it was out a year or two ago. Doo has had the REV in development since 97, so polaris better start something soon, or risk extinction.

C'ya..

Jim
[i]08 MXZ Renegade XP 800R[/i]
[b]There's Nothing Like It![/b]
97Mach1

Postby mnsnowboy » February 3rd, 2003, 12:58 am

Polaris is not going to go extinct because they don't have a chassis like the Rev. There are a lot of people that prefer the Polaris because of it's traditionally styled chassis. And they probably will come out with something fancy like that, but they are not going to go out of business. And besides that, even if they didn't sell one sled they have way more segments in the production world than any of the other companies (except maybe Yamaha, I have never seen a Polaris piano :) ) so I never see them going out of business!

-sb
Kick ass!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/rocking.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/hellyeahFireIcon.gif[/IMG][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/bobZilla.gif height=90 width=20[/img]
mnsnowboy

Postby revmaniac » February 3rd, 2003, 2:28 am

Uh snowboy,

Other than sleds Polaris has atv's, watercraft, motorcycles, Yamaha has motorcycles, outboards, watercraft, sportboats, atv's, offroad bikes, musical equipment, they even make car engines, generators etc..Bombardier makes watercraft, outboards, groomers, trains, planes and automobiles, atv's, motorcycle engines, kart engines, light aircraft engines, sport boats, jets etc..We all know polaris isnt going to go under, but just to let you know, AC is the smallest company at about a little over half a billion worth, Polaris is worth over a billion, Yamaha I think is around 6-8 billion(anyone know better?) and Bombardier is worth 16 billion. All figures annually of course.
revmaniac

Postby xlt;600craze » February 3rd, 2003, 12:25 pm

mach1 polaris will come up with something better then the rev they always do and i dont think u have to worry about them going extinct because they sell more 4 wheelers then they do snowmobiles anyways and if they did go extinct snowmobileing itself would go extinct because there would be nobody to lead snowmobile production
Derek Lewin
xlt;600craze

Postby BLADEGUY » February 17th, 2003, 11:26 am

The Rev changes everything. There is no reason that other manufaturers can't come out with the same thing. I'm sure they will. There have been rumors about Polaris for years. I thought this was the year their big breakthrough was going to be announced. Have they announced yet? Some people will always prefer a traditional sled. But if you have a bad back, go get a rev. Nothing else like it now. You gotta ride one. What a blast.
I want to ride every day, all day, as fast as I can.
BLADEGUY

Postby ZiRT » February 17th, 2003, 11:47 am

XLT600,
Just so you know, you may want to rephrase your brand bias rant "if they did go extinct snowmobileing itself would go extinct because there would be nobody to lead snowmobile production"
Polaris is now #2 in sales, not 1. Doo put a whoopin' on 'em this season.
[red]http://www.nyssnowassoc.org[/red]
ZiRT

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum