Subscribe Today

twin pipe heat

If you're looking for advice or if you have a tuning tip for your fellow snowmobilers, this is the board for you.

twin pipe heat

Postby Daymion » January 9th, 2007, 4:58 am

I have recently put twin pipes on my 05 rmk 600. I know there are supose to get hot but how hot are they supose to get. the problem that I'am having is that know matter what I do it seem that just about wvery ride i go on i melt some thing new under the hood. I have put in side vent on the can side. is there more option whith out going to a mesh hood.
600RMK
Daymion

twin pipe heat

Postby ZR800XC » January 9th, 2007, 2:37 pm

You want to keep the heat in the pipes, cooling them down will sacrifice engine performance...it will lower the power band. Wrap them or have the ceramic coated, if they're anywhere near plasitc they're gonna melt stuff. This is why the stock pipes come with a heat shield...accomplishes both things, keeps heat in, and away from plastic parts

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

twin pipe heat

Postby FrankG » January 10th, 2007, 5:49 am

What can I use to wrap my pipes?

Thanks

Frank
FrankG

twin pipe heat

Postby Heelclicker » January 12th, 2007, 2:04 am

You can use heat reflective tape on the underside of the hood and other places in the engine compartment. It won't cure the heat, but it will help some with the melting.
Heelclicker

twin pipe heat

Postby xcsp » January 16th, 2007, 1:47 pm

You could check into getting the exhaust system ceramic coated-have heard this helps engine performance(more stable temps) and cuts down the external temps a lot. Might be worth checking into-looks alot better than wrapped pipes too.

These guys are in Ontario: [url=http://www.fireballcoatings.com/]Fireball Coatings[/url]
xcsp

twin pipe heat

Postby quickcarl » January 23rd, 2007, 12:09 am

Go to your local High proformance Auto Parts store and get some header wrap and wrap the pipes. This is the cheapest solution. Ceramic coating is not cheap but is the best answer. Yes you do want to keep the heat in the pipes that is the whole reason for proformance exhaust heat and correct back presure and flow. Just wrap them. Then get some of the heat sheilding that comes on the inside of all the newer sleds hoods it is like a decal that is a metal finish place this on the inside of the hood where the pipes are close to the hood. Your dealer can get this for you.
quickcarl

Return to Tech Talk