Subscribe Today

Test Rides..Pre Hype.. and Facts..RX!, FCATS, and REV

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby MM700 » March 30th, 2002, 2:55 am

I went to the local dealer to test ride the new Fire Cat, as advertized...I was diapointed to find out it was a 2002 440 Sno-Pro....I saw in another post that somebody ( I believe Captain)..said Yamaha only build 4 prototypes of the RX-1, WRONG BUDDY !!!! I saw them(The Yami engineers) riding on 6 different sleds in the U.P....and they had at least two more in the semi...they also told me they were testing a fleet of them out west (RX-1 Mountain)...in Cooke City Montana....The Yamaha engineers also told me they have been testing the rx1 on snow the last THREE YEARS....and he also said that yes these machines are detuned from What they were testing for reliablity reasons....the original Rx-1 was blowing clutches and belts left and right...it was putting out over 170 HP and was running speeds over 135 MPH ( 1 mile drag strip, through radar)....but they felt it was too much for the general public..he said the machine..the general public will be getting will go over 120 MPH and will be between 147 and 150 HP...and will be reliable....they are currently working on the suspensions...to get them dialed in for the general public before next fall...they are also changing something with the stearing...but he didn't say what....Either way Yamaha is making sure that what the public gets next fall will be reliable...good handling, performance machines.....Now for Cat, with the Hype of the Firecats, I have yet to see one up here that is avaible for testing by the general public...in fact the one the Cat engineers were testing up here in January was a 2002 Snow Pro 440 with a 700 efi engine in it. Are they similar...Yes....but they aren't firecats...a 700efi with 140 claimed ponies is a much more wicked machine to ride than a 440...don't you agree???? So in conclusion...what everybody is harping on about the Rx1 is the same stuff that can be harped on about the Firecats....Bottom line is both are exciting models...that are not yet ready for the general public to ride or own...No matter what you ride....we have to give Ski-doo credit...they are letting people ride an REV before they buy one....All manufacturer's should be doing this, period....I believe the FireCats and Rx-1 were simply not ready to do this yet....Give Cat and Yamaha credit for admitting this and working on possible bugs so the machines, we the general public recieve will run and ride the way they are supposed to.
MM700

Postby kittykiller » March 30th, 2002, 3:01 am

MM, You said it. I wasn't going to buy another new sled till next year until I rode the REV and was able to see for myself that it is not hype. There is a HUGE difference between this sled and ANY other sled I have ever ridden. It is down right awesome...PERIOD
What's yellow snow taste like ???
kittykiller

Postby MM700 » March 30th, 2002, 3:14 am

I liked it too...but I don't like it as much as the FireCat...hey ya gotta buy what ya like....I personally like the look of the Fire cat and the Rx1 better than the REV...and Yes I do buy something for how it looks....nothing wrong with that is there???? ...lol
MM700

Postby kawicat » March 30th, 2002, 3:19 am

well there is something that could be wrong. if you buy the rx-1 just for its looks, JUST LIKE SOME DID WITH THE VIPER, then come to find out that it doesn't ride or perform like you wanted. with all the brands now, i would wait until they get them dialed in before you jump ship just because it looks good. look at luv2, he sold his viper after one year to go back to an sx! lol.
[[green]RIDE HARD, PLAY HARD, STAY HARD, DIE HARD![/green]
kawicat

Postby drifter7 » March 30th, 2002, 3:49 am

Hey kawicat, I like my Viper and it rides and performs excactly the way I expected and wanted. Some Yamaha guy piss in your ear after he beat your or something? What do you know about Yamaha's? Do you beleive everything you read?
drifter7

Postby treewhacker » March 30th, 2002, 4:52 am

I was up at Logan pass near Glacir Park two weeks ago and we went up to this big basin where the big climbs are. There were about 40 new sleds there from all four makers. We watched pretty close at which sleds were doing the best highmarking, it was the Vipers hands down. I've never riden one, but after watching them all day I would have to say they work dam good.... Look cool too.
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1278/a1ugly.jpg[/img]
treewhacker

Postby ride it » March 30th, 2002, 11:22 am

Viper???? I can't believe what i'm hearing. I'm not brand loyal, but they have to be the worse handeling sleds that i have ever ridden. Their rear skid just sucks. they have a great engine under the hood but need some improvements in the suspension department. I love the looks and the ponies, but the first thing i want is ride!!!! Nobody can see how she looks when your wizzing by anyway :)
ride it

Postby Catrocks » March 31st, 2002, 5:50 am

Hey mm wtf is a firecat????? It is a 2002 sno-pro; the protos that they are testing were built at the same time that the snopros were. d**n, just look at them. One diffrence between the protos and production models are that the brakes go back under the hood. But the firecats are spitting images of the spro. Well mm I guess that we got ya there to, at least the firecats have spent the whole winter season on the race track. I guess that you will say, vincent made 10 laps total with the rx1 at select events, what a joke. Jeez for thick headed. And a viper making the highmark???? Would have to see that to believe it. Tough to beat that red company there.

*This Message was edited on 31-Mar-02 10:53 AM by catrocks*
CR

Sled on, b-safe, and most of all; CATSROCK! yeah baby!!

Oh yeah support your local club.!.!
Catrocks

Postby treewhacker » March 31st, 2002, 5:58 am

I really don't know why the Vipers were working so well that day. I've been on two rides since and the Polar ass long tracks were highmarking everything but the mods. The Viper group was from browning, I don't believe any of those guys when they say stock. Also I didn't realize Vipers had a piece of junk skid..
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1278/a1ugly.jpg[/img]
treewhacker

Postby Catrocks » March 31st, 2002, 6:16 am

Where you been for the last two months whacker??? Even the Yammi guys are admitting that skid needs a lotta work to get it right. I kinda like the cats just play with the limiter and adjusting blocks and she dials real ez.

LEAN, MEAN, GREEN MACHINE!!!!!

*This Message was edited on 31-Mar-02 11:18 AM by catrocks*
CR

Sled on, b-safe, and most of all; CATSROCK! yeah baby!!

Oh yeah support your local club.!.!
Catrocks

Next

Return to Trash Talkers