Subscribe Today

Touring vs MXZ???

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Touring vs MXZ???

Postby Brots75 » August 20th, 2002, 10:21 am

I had, note the word had, a '01 600 MXZ Trail, along w/ the wifes sled. We are now expecting a baby but money it seems will be tight. So instead of getting out of snowmobiling we decided to trade both sleds in and get a '03 700 Grand Touring SE. This saves us money (believe it or not) and cuts our payments in half. This way I still get to drive and she gets to ride. (she never was comfortable driving anyways) I loved the performance of my MXZ. I went w/ the 700 in the hopes that I wouldn't lose much in the acceleration and top end I'm used to by going to a heavier sled. I also understand that w/ the longer track my cornering won't be what it used to. Any comments from others about what I might expect as differences????
Brots75

Touring vs MXZ???

Postby hauler » August 20th, 2002, 1:23 pm

Brots, If shes pregnant now and expecting, she probably won't be doing too much snowmobiling this winter. I would have got single machine and bought a 2 up seat or a seat jack. For the fews times youll probably be out together that would be fine and the rest of the time, you still have your quick nimble sled. Wait, you 'll have a new baby in the house, hope its not te first cause you won't be snowmobiling either!!! Bin there, done that. good luck.LMAO
[b][blue]YAMAHA RX1[/b]
TURNING THE COMPETITION BLUE[/blue]
hauler

Touring vs MXZ???

Postby Brots75 » August 21st, 2002, 11:54 am

We tried one of the ski doo conversion seats for my MXZ. The main problem we had was every time we hit a big bump my wife got launched over my head!! LMAOL I didn't mind having certain parts land on my head but she didn't care for landing on my helmet too much! so we compromised and i get to stay in snowmobiling and she doesn't get thrown through the air. oh well so it'll take me a little longer to get from place to place but at least i'll be going somewhere on a sled!!
Brots75

Touring vs MXZ???

Postby yukon corneilius » August 22nd, 2002, 10:02 am

one good thing is the electric start / rer on the ski-doo adds so little weight, you probably won't think the sled feels that heavy and cumbersome. the longer track might take a little getting used to though. you are going into this with the right attitude, at least you can still ride, and you'll have a nice, new machine to do it on (and i'm sure a 700 even in touring guise is no slouch). best of luck with the new babe.
yukon corneilius

Touring vs MXZ???

Postby skidoorider » August 22nd, 2002, 1:59 pm

Hey Brots75 Can I ask why you didn't consider pre-owned sleds? Let someone else eat the depreciation,and you would definitely have a lower payment.{I know the married w/children pinchin' my wallet feeling!} RB

2007 Jayco 29BHS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
skidoorider

Touring vs MXZ???

Postby Brots75 » August 24th, 2002, 2:26 am

Sorry it took so long to get back to you... We didn't buy used for a few reasons. 1) In our area our local dealers only had a 01 Grand Touring 600 Sport w/ 1500 miles on it for $6000. I wanted a 700 b/c by adding the weight of the touring package I still wanted the acceleration and top end of my 600. I looked at other brands too, but I like ski doo, call me crazy. I like the ergos and the finish, I feel Yamaha seats are too wide, etc.. 2) Our trades were going to be a wash no matter what way we went, still owed what they were worth. I feel much better about financing a loaded '03 then I do about a '01/02 with someone elses miles on it (at least this way I will know where all of the miles come from) 3) If it is going to be a family sport, like we want, eventually we'll need a 2up, for that awkward time when the kids are too big to go in front of you but too young to drive and you're not comfortale w/ them behind you. Don't get me wrong we looked at every possible option b4 getting rid of my sled but it just couldn't happen. So now the plan is to keep the Touring until it dies and buy me a new 1up in a few years, as the family expands, and the wife will get the 2up. Who knows maybe I'll fall in love w/ the luxury SUV and keep it for myself and get her a smaller sled.
Brots75

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum