Subscribe Today

A True Story About The Recent Michigan Snowmobile Death In T

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

A True Story About The Recent Michigan Snowmobile Death In T

Postby elanman » February 2nd, 2003, 2:56 pm

As I found this story on another board and thought It should be seen. As I hope it will save at least one live and after you read it many more.

I am not reporting trail conditions. Witnessing one fateful incident has now effected myself, several of my dearest friends and about 50 or so passers-by! I am going to get down right blunt and you will not like what I have to say but it needs saying! Too many of you are displaying more and more reckless, careless, and destructive behavior than ever.
You are committing suicide on our trails, endangering others and it has to stop! I am so upset that if I could, I would impound every snowmobile, close down the manufacturers of them and destroy every trail across the country right now!

While grooming Friday night Norm and I, along with several of our friends on the EMS service had the horrifying experience of seeing another rider be added to the growing list of snowmobile fatalities. A man in his mid-forties with two young children, came over a hill on a straight away 5 miles west of Grand Marais as the sun was setting in the
sky and ultimately, on his life. This man did everything wrong; he had been drinking, had not strapped his helmet, had left his group behind, and was traveling far to fast when he simply lost control of his snowmobile. Apparently no one saw the accident but the sled had rolled, pitching the man off and tumbling with him 200 feet before coming to rest crosswise in the trail. He sustained severe injuries and died shortly after arriving at the hospital. A totally avoidable, waste of life.
That's not all - When his buddies found him and went for help, one stayed behind. He was left alone, cradling his dying friend in his arms for what must have seemed like an eternity before we came upon the scene. We called 911 and helplessly waited with him, watching the precious life of his friend and someone's son, brother, husband, and
father slip away. While the snowmobile ambulance rushed the victim to the ambulance waiting at the trail head and then off to the hospital another hour away, we waited with his friends for the police to arrive and make their report. Three and half hours after we arrived on the
scene, the mans friends were able to continue on; a long, 45 mile ride to their motel with their thoughts and mental images of the accident to keep them company. All the while not knowing their friend's fate. I can't imagine how they are coping with what started as a good time only to turn into a trip none will ever forget - for all the wrong reasons!

The State Troopers told us we could just push the sled off the trail and leave it there for more riders to see! Instead, they loaded the remains of the snowmobile onto the groomer and we hauled it and the dead man's unbuckled, undamaged helmet to town and inconspicuously parked it away
from view! We wanted to drop it in front of one of the bars!

This incident is causing me a great deal of anguish. Could I have said or done anything more to save this mans life? How many more children will be orphaned in the name of fun? Can I do anything to save more from this fate? And what if other riders had been coming up that hill when this happened? What if those other riders included that family with 4 children we had just passed 15 minutes earlier!? How many more lives could have ended needlessly? What if our groomer had not come along to put out markers warning unsuspecting riders of the carnage ahead? What if our groomer had been coming up that hill when he lost control? What mental traumas has the sight of this accident caused the passers-by? As morbid as this all sounds, I say it in hopes that more of you think before you take that first drink and carelessly get on a
machine capable of 100+ miles an hour, only to become the next one we have to haul out of the woods, leaving your friends, families and us to cope with those images for the rest of our lives.

Don't commit suicide on the trail! Don't drink or drug and ride, never ride alone, stay alert, and ride safely! If you have a cell phone, take it with you in the event of problems, it could save the life of one your friends or yourself!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C

*This Message was edited on 02-Feb-03 07:57 PM by elanman*
elanman

A True Story About The Recent Michigan Snowmobile Death In The UP

Postby zr500 » February 2nd, 2003, 10:52 pm

Thanks for posting this, another wake up call for snowmobilers everywhere.
zr500

Postby M.L.800REV X » February 2nd, 2003, 10:55 pm

its a shame!!!its going to happen just like a DWI in a car,there will be drunks on the trail you cant do anything about it!!wondering if you (elanman)displayed the same attitude on the trail in front of thoes kids that you had in that post!try to stay positive ,its going to happen,there will be more!!again its a shame,your thoughts should be with the friend and family,not that the guy is was drunk,speeding reckless,WHAT IF,ect! if someone run into your groomer and gets hurt, it sounds like you would get out of the grommer and b***h,there called accidents there not ment to happen they just do!!
M.L.800REV X

Postby twintracks » February 3rd, 2003, 1:23 am

"its going to happen just like a DWI in a car,there will be drunks on the trail you cant do anything about it!!"

Try this: DON'T DRINK & RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been riding the UP trails for 30 years, but will no longer take my family out there. It won't get any better until these "racer wanna-bes" are weeded out by attrition. You will slow down someday, when you come upon a scene like Elanman described, or you loose someone in your group to a tree.
800REV, Do us all a favor, go find a closed course, sign a waiver, and have at it.
Jerry~

*This Message was edited on 03-Feb-03 11:01 AM by twintracks*
twintracks

Postby M.L.800REV X » February 3rd, 2003, 2:31 am

hey twintracks i dont drink and have my own track on posted property!!!i dont encourage drinking or riding outside your abilities! so do me a favor keep your neg. s**t to yourself,iv seen carnage first hand in a car wreck were it took 3 lives,i didnt come out of my house to see if anyone was drinking i came to HELP with the situation!!!!!
M.L.800REV X

Postby M.L.800REV X » February 3rd, 2003, 3:02 am

thoughts go out to all envolved..
M.L.800REV X

Postby twintracks » February 3rd, 2003, 4:29 am

Look Pal, I don't know you, and you don't know me. I was simply responding to what you posted. When you say something like "nothing can be done about it", you are bound to P.O. some people that have had too many close calls on the trails. Having your own track is commendable. J~
twintracks

Postby M.L.800REV X » February 3rd, 2003, 4:57 am

its a big circle of events that lead back the BAR,most of them own a groomer or two,that groom right up to there door,clubs meet at the bar(not always)where do you get gas on the trail?the bar,hungry?the bar,usally the bar has lodgeing.where do you sign up for the club?the bar,who holds all the poker runs and events?the bars!maybe they shouldnt serve alcohol along the trails?
M.L.800REV X

Postby twintracks » February 3rd, 2003, 5:10 am

Blame, blame, blame. The bar also serves coffee, soda, and burgers. They also pay huge for insurance, due to lawsuits from families of dead drunk sledders, and damage to parked cars & property. Take a little responsibility for yourself, and the behavior of those around you.
twintracks

Postby M.L.800REV X » February 3rd, 2003, 5:48 am

im not blamming anybody ,but the bars dont spend 2800 a year on a permit to sell pop,coffee,hot cocco,they do for alcohol,why?the money!!its all about the money!! and buy the way im not your pal the user name is up top ..
M.L.800REV X

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum