Subscribe Today

THUNDERCAT 1220cc (48mm Megatron Carbs)

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby WARCAT » November 16th, 2003, 1:14 pm

Does anyone out there have tunning experience on the 48mm Megatron carbs? I'm running a 1220cc Thundercat Triple (D&D Race Engine) at 10,000ft altitude in Rifle, Colorado.

It's very difficult/touchy to adjust (to the air density & temperature). If I'm just a fraction too lean, it will seize up in a matter of seconds! I must add extra oil into the gas tank to assure "no over heating". Anyone experienced with hi-altitude adjustments & tips for these expensive engines, feel free to offer any suggestions! I'd love to hear from someone!

WARCAT
WARCAT

Postby cpr racing » November 16th, 2003, 2:23 pm

Get your big air carbs from psi,they are adjustable from outside, no jets to change. Run amsoil 20 to 24/1.Could need a high volume fuel pump and/or Redline water wetter.
Run 110-115 octane and an extra cooler.
CPR Racing
cpr racing

Postby WARCAT » November 17th, 2003, 6:17 pm

My carbs are already the top race carbs on the market! PSI is out of the question... We're talking Arctic Cat here.

Anyway, here's what I found out today after speaking with D&D Racing and Lectron Carburetor, Inc., who manufactures the 48mm Megatron. These are all out race carbs for nothing but full throttle across lakes or drag racing. Not meant for trail riders!

Rules as follow:

1. Needle up internally = richer midrange
2. Power Jet adjustment clockwise = less fuel
3. Cold days = more fuel due to denser heavy air
4. Warm days = less fuel & more air
5. Higher elevation = lower octaine
6. Having the pyrometers & water temps on all 3 cylinders(which I do), allows immediate warning indicator lights if I'm running too lean.
7. Best to start out "too rich" (no matter what), and make adjustments accordingly until I get use to variable temperature changes & altitude changes!

Good luck to all... Hope to see ya's out there. Bring your $100 dollar bill, and don't be embarrased if you lose. Everyone else has! Thundercat is and always will be the World Record Holder with the D&D 1220cc engine. Short track 121" (finger track) with the ZR low gear. Next to impossible to hold the front down without looking at the sky all the time!!!
WARCAT

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum