Subscribe Today

I WANT TO START ICE RACING..NEED HELP.

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby PintoRacing.com » January 1st, 2004, 8:23 am

I need help to start ice racing...Where can I buy parts? What do I need? What needs to be modified/removed? Any tips are welcomed...PLEASE HELP...
PintoRacing.com

Postby rathke13 » January 1st, 2004, 10:25 am

hi there-i wouldnt be the one to help ya out with them kinds of questions, i just race and let my dad work on the sled so i know nothing about it haha..but i was wondering-do you know what circuit you are racing in yet? I'm from menomonie which isnt too far from hastings and i race in the wsa xtreme ice circuit--which would be a good one for you too, cuz of your location...for more info go to www.pro-ice.com Its a good one!!hope i helped ya out a little haha seeya
rathke13

Postby zr70094 » January 1st, 2004, 2:00 pm

well pinto that depends what are you running for a sled and what kind of ice racing are you wanting to try answer that and maybe i can help
zr70094

Postby PintoRacing.com » January 1st, 2004, 2:57 pm

Well I wanted to run juniors 16-17 440L/c or sport 600L/c. Right now I have a 2004 pro-X 440 L/c and I have three extra motors for it(440, 600, 875) Basically its set up for snocross but my friend Billy waldoch started ice racing before snocross so I figured that would be a good start on my behalf. I have raced at hometown tracks always winning but I just didn't have the time or money to go wsa snocross so now that I do I guess I will now make my move. Next year I am running a 2004 REV 440
PintoRacing.com

Postby zr70094 » January 1st, 2004, 3:46 pm

well first i would stick with the x cuz the rev sucks the basic rule is clutching,traction and gearing if your running 500ft you wanna make sure your sled is still pulling good at 600ft in other words if your sled stops pulling at 400ft you lost before the clutching you need traction i like chisels myself it takes alot of testing to get your machine performing to your likings a stock 440x should do good in the stock class with the clutching if thats not enough then try somthing like a camoplast speed track they weigh alot less then stock i once was told that 1lb of moving weight is equal to about 6lbs of say your weight if you go to far then you wont be in the stock clas and you will need alot more then clutching and gearing maybe some cheater heads check out www.wahlbros.com i hope this will help you have fun and good luck
zr70094

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » January 2nd, 2004, 3:28 am

I would say first start off with lowering your sled in the front and rear. You may want to get short ski's and different carbides, a lube system for your rear suspension helps quite a it. You may want to move your steering post back by taking out the block on top. Your Polaris pro-x manual will help you out with some things. If you know someone else that races a pro x on ice they will also help. You will also need to stud your track with ice picks and alot more than you ever used snow cross racing. You do not need cheater heads and they will only get you in trouble with tech. See you at the races and you are going to have a great time racing on the ice. There will be plenty of people that will help you out with any questions you want answered. Wahl Bros. racing in Greenbush, Mn. will have anything that you need with setting your sled up. Number is 218-782-2295
Spy-Guy 74

Postby zr70094 » January 2nd, 2004, 12:59 pm

pinto if you start changing the looks of your sled like skis ect you could find yourself in the improved stock class. cheater heads might not be your answer but if so they are cheater heads so there not real obvious i have seen plenty of friends run them and no one ever suspected them do your clutching and gearing and get some chisels first before you change skis and what not and dont over do it with the studs you want as little as possible but still hook up good my friend ran 96 chisels last year on a 99 mike houle mach z 800 with crankshop pipes,a lifted base gasket and some other **** and he didnt spin an inch so dont ad 300 pounds of chisels if you dont need to and if you wanna trail ride also dont do any lowering good luck
zr70094

Postby ice_racer_69 » January 3rd, 2004, 9:18 am

If you plan on racing ice ovals (and being competitive) you better not plan on trail riding that sled. You will need a set of short skis (Wahl, Rugland, or USI). You will also need a lot of studs (200-300). Bend a set of handle bars so you are comfortable leaning in the corners. Don't worry about cheating! it will do you no good! Work on clutching...find a good set of weights that balance out your holeshot and topend. Work on handling shocks, springs, sway-bar, etc... Show up at any race and ask anyone in the pits, they will be glad to give ya a hand. hope this helps!!
ice_racer_69

Postby zr70094 » January 3rd, 2004, 3:48 pm

i am talking about 500ft drags where you can go kick ass then trail ride after
zr70094

Postby zr70094 » January 3rd, 2004, 3:50 pm

you dont need 500 pounds of studs to hook up why not just get some fat ass to set on the back haha
zr70094

Return to General Racing Board