Subscribe Today

1989 Safari Citation (Please Lend Your Thoughts)

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby safari_citation_repair » February 19th, 2005, 10:33 am

I've recently bought a 1989 Safari Citation, and today I sprung a leak in my gas tank. I was wondering what information anybody can give me on this topic (e.g.: how to fix, etc.)? I need serious help and quick because I have to get some wood hauled before the snow goes. Thank you, ask for more info (if need be), however thats all I can really tell you for sure. Bye.
safari_citation_repair

Postby cjmiller » February 19th, 2005, 11:18 am

You can get it plastic welded but not sure how expensive that is. I had a leak in mine and I got some stuff to put on it. I cant remember the name right now but its some kind of apoxy for plastics. You could get it at most stores but the only problem is it dont last very long. You would have to keep putting it on every once in a while. But it should get you out of a pinch for the time being. Dont know if this helps but good luck
cjmiller

Postby cjmiller » February 19th, 2005, 11:19 am

You can get it plastic welded but not sure how expensive that is. I had a leak in mine and I got some stuff to put on it. I cant remember the name right now but its some kind of apoxy for plastics. You could get it at most stores but the only problem is it dont last very long. You would have to keep putting it on every once in a while. But it should get you out of a pinch for the time being. Dont know if this helps but good luck
cjmiller

Postby cjmiller » February 19th, 2005, 11:21 am

cjmiller

Postby mysunnshine » February 19th, 2005, 11:27 am

I'd find a new or used tank to replace the cracked one that you have now. It's not worth the money savings to fix what you have just to be a fireball down the trail and hurt yourself too when it leaks again....

Sunshine
mysunnshine

Postby safari_citation_repair » February 19th, 2005, 12:56 pm

Well, thanks for all the help everybody. Can anybody give me some information about how I would go about changing the tank and stuff? Also, are there any links, etc. that I can check out with information about this? Thanks again!

PS: Where would I find a new tank for such an old machine?
safari_citation_repair

Postby cory49 » February 19th, 2005, 2:38 pm

Where about in Canada are you located?

I have 5-6 tanks, all in great shape...

Cory
[b]Sledless[/b]
cory49

Postby T'NT340rider » February 19th, 2005, 3:33 pm

You probably know this already, but when plasic welding the tank, please be sure to remove all traces of fuel. Dont know if plastic welder is hot enought to ignite it, but its much better to be safe then sorry.
Proud member of the Carhartt Clan Vintage Snowmobile Club.

-I am a 315er, and proudly support the other 315ers at www.315er.net fight for Wayne County, Webster Sucks!!
T'NT340rider

Postby safari_citation_repair » February 19th, 2005, 4:05 pm

I'm in Central Newfoundland. Thanks for the tips.
safari_citation_repair

Postby Uller God » February 21st, 2005, 11:13 am

Ask Leo, he's modded out a couple Safari's, even tossed in a motor from a Chevy Citation.
Uller God

Next

Return to Vintage Sleds Board