Subscribe Today

Snocross interest -- what's happening?

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby JohnPrusak » March 14th, 2005, 5:28 am

I want to bring y'all in on something we've been discussing around the office and with friends lately -- the topic: What has happened to interest in snocross racing.

A couple of years ago, the big national snocross races were drawing huge crowds, there was constant chatter about the results on message boards like this one, driver entries were huge in all classes and the racing had a general "buzz factor" about it.

Now? The crowds at the big national races have been tiny in comparison to a couple of years ago, nobody talks smack about their favorite drivers on internet message boards anymore, driver entries are way down and overall there isn't as much buzz as a couple years go.

So what has happened? I mean, the racing is more competitive than ever, as all three brands that compete are in contention for a points title with one week to go. Beyond that, the X Games final was excellent -- I thought after that exposure that attendence would pick back up, but the attendance in Buffalo was far lower than expectations.

So what are your honest opinions on why this is happening? Tell me if your interesting in snocross racing has changed, and why.
JohnPrusak
Snow Goer Staff

Postby mach1mikeM1M » March 14th, 2005, 5:36 am

What you should be asking is
1)Where is the garage rider.The guy who leaves his garage with a sled in the back of hos P/U and drives to the races with his gear and a box of Craftsman tools.
2)Why did these guy's get priced out of racing?
I do not nor have i ever payed much attention to SnowX i like it and i see the Lake Geneva race almost every year but i would rather be riding.Maybe people are getting bored with it?Not sure.But i do know that with other forms of racing that usually attendace goes down when most of the grass roots riders in their Pick ups have been replaced by Semi trucks and large trailers.Your not gonna be racing when you know your gonna be beat by some corporation with deep pockets.
mach1mikeM1M

Postby FiredUpRupp » March 14th, 2005, 5:41 am

It has a horrible marketing team. TV is a big thing. They have basically none except the X games. If you look around TV really helps fill stands. You hear nothing on the radio or nothing in print about it.

You don't have any racers creating publicity either. Racers like Levi and Tucker are huge for the sport and one was hurt and the other quit. If Tucker were to comeback I betcha attendence would jump considerably.

It's racing so it should be able to draw with a good marketing plan. They need to find an avenue to get TV exposure.

Plus not having any snow around can't help.

EDIT:
Also, probably do to no snow, you don't see the regional races anymore. You could always jump interest by going out an dwatching thses races. Like Mike said your local guy with his sled in his truck was fun to watch at these events.
FiredUpRupp

Postby ArcticEd » March 14th, 2005, 5:43 am

Well, here's an opinion from the cheap seats......

WHom ever the powers that be are have relegated the TV coverage to an almost after thought..... The ESPN coverage was excellent for a few years, then was sceduled to trime spots at like 3 am.........
The racing at some of the stadium venues hasn't been all that inspiring because of the layout of the tracks......A bumpy oval doesn't hold a candle to the tracks at Valcourt. MT Snow (old venue), or Cramdon( ?sp?).

In talking with one who knows, the prevailing opinion is that the WSA braintrust has been siphoning all the money out of the series to fund Park X., and putting very little back into the sport. If you're gonna be the only game in town and steamroller and/or absorb all the other sanctioning bodies, you should do your best to provide quality races for both the racers and spectators.
I'm still an avid snocross fan, I try to keep tabs on the results and who's doing what, but the bottom line, I think that if there is indeed a slackening in the enthusiasm for snocross, it pretty much falls at the feet of the promoters. There's nothing wrong with the competition, the format, or the sport. I know that alot of the so-called experts and some of the oval enthusiasts poo-poo 'Slocross", but all I have to reply to them with is, Have you ever actually TRIED it?? I have, and believe me, there's a whole hell of alot more to it than you see from the sidelines.
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

Postby Mainecat » March 14th, 2005, 5:45 am

Mike, great points. How true it is that the average racer is up against a factory sponsored team. Maybe thats why asphault racing has become fun to watch run what you bring. I was always more interested in cross country races like the Iron Dog. They seem to be the best test for drivers and sled endurance. SnoX is ho hum ..... buy a driver 2 to 3 laps and its over before you can finish your burger. It seems SnoX has become freestyle racing or is it freestyle has become SnoX??
Mainecat

Postby ZR600DPD » March 14th, 2005, 5:46 am

Mike has a good point, and my complaint is there is not enough TV coverage, the dang speed chanel and OLN have tons of outdoor motor sports but never snow-x races, and i think it would be pretty cool for the differnt snow states to have various snow-x tracks like they have moto-x tracks so regular people can sign up and race their sled for fun or competition, without the big $ people, just backyard racers, i bet tons of sled heads would show up every weekend to race and watch the races
ZR600DPD

Postby studs4me » March 14th, 2005, 5:47 am

John,
Your taking about a small segment of racing and at the time of the big draw in slo-x we seen the riders of the likes in" The flyin Finn "(Tony Hakkinen spell?) Chris "airtime " Vincent and the list goes on and on. The teams were all close and the rides were much the same as the ones we owned and rode on the trails. I think the crowd that followed them left when the drivers did. I know I did. I don't go to the big bump chump stuff anymore.....the riders don't interest me anymore , the sleds are nothing like what the consumers buy and ride. I remember watching oval racing at the state fair as a kid....it was awesome but that faded away and will never make a comeback. I used to watch the I -500 from Whinni to St.Paul but that died an ugly death with the steamroll that slo-x came on with. I miss the X country racing really , I just sorta got pushed into slo-x when Xcountry was pushed out in this area anyway.
[red] "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, booze in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally wornout and screaming WOHOO!! what a ride!"
[/red]
studs4me

Postby Zert2Rev » March 14th, 2005, 5:51 am

$30 just to get thru the door may have something to do with it then if ya have kids which is $20 bucks a pop your talking big bucks then pay out $2.50 for a Coke!!!!
Bring back the I-500 were you could watch at road crossings to see
who's winning!!!!
Zert2Rev

Postby cromejob » March 14th, 2005, 6:02 am

Same winners! After Tucker and Morgan, then there is the rest, none of the other competitors can charge up threw the pack like they can. Now this year, you are gonna have someone elses name on the trophy. Will there be a * next to their name? Sno cross is too much hole shot, and hope he breaks down so I can catch him. The sleds are too even to compare. And cross county was not killed by sno-X, it was killed by the DNR and not allowing access to trails.

P.S. Since Tucker left, the only interesting race was the X-games....WSA needs to beg for Tuckers return, or get rid of Morgan.
[COLOR=#ff3300]If it is Orange.....it has to be good![/COLOR]
cromejob

Postby GThunda » March 14th, 2005, 6:05 am

Television...that's the main reason for me. (Lack of coverage)
GThunda

Next

Return to Trash Talkers