Subscribe Today

sno jet long travel suspension pics for wheeler

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby AHood » September 14th, 2005, 12:21 pm

[IMG]http://tinypic.com/dorxvc.jpg[/IMG]

heres a pic of the suspension. its a stock based 75 sno jet multiflex suspension. the sno jet suspension is already very good but it can be made much better by just using one of the longer front suspension arms from another skid in place of the rear arm. theres lots of other tricks that make it work that i can detail but it would take a lot of writing and i dont have the time right now.

wheeler you say you want to do this to some other brand of sled well i dont see that being as easy. the sno jet mod just falls into place with a tiny bit of fab. i have no knoledge of what it would take to do this to a different sled but ill help if i can.
AHood

Postby Wheeler550 » September 14th, 2005, 12:48 pm

Thanks! The SkiDoo torque reaction suspension is very simular, and that's what I have.
Wheeler550

Postby AHood » September 14th, 2005, 12:57 pm

does the rear suspension arm attachment to the skid rails slide or is there some type of pivot linkage. as you can see the rear arm on the sno jet skid slides on top of the rails. are you planning on making a longer rear suspension arm? thats the key to allow a large vertical movement with out having the rear arm travel through an excessive rotational angle. can you post a pic of the torque reaction skid.
AHood

Postby Wheeler550 » September 14th, 2005, 1:01 pm

I'll post a pic, and yes it slides. I just replaced my little "sliders" for the rear arm.
Wheeler550

Postby Wheeler550 » September 14th, 2005, 1:06 pm

[img]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/992/2e1b4ty.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3092/501b5jw.jpg[/img]

I forgot my damn camera in my truck tonight, I'll tack some up close pics of my sled tommorow. These I found on the internet.
Wheeler550

Postby AHood » September 14th, 2005, 1:28 pm

that is very similar. although it looks like your skid would have even less travel then the sno jet skid in stock form. is the configuration of the front suspension arm such that you may be able to put one in the rear as i have done. the front arm must be longer for it to work right when you put it in the back. another thing that helps is that i converted to a 121 inch track from a 116. i had to move the rear idlers back a few holes this gave me extra room longer mini slide length which is key to allow more travel. what are your mini slides made from? the sno jet ones are just small lengths of the stock hyfax turned upside down. yours look thinner than your hyfax though. can your be made longer? shame your sled doesnt have a tapered tunnel. square tunnels look kind of wierd all jacked up.
AHood

Postby Wheeler550 » September 14th, 2005, 1:40 pm

Here is an Everest with tabs that rasie the rear, the travel is the same though. If I can't get the travel thing figured out, I'll have to go this route to get the boards out of the fluff.

[img]http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/7762/77everest1qf.jpg[/img]
Wheeler550

Postby toocheaptosmoke » September 14th, 2005, 2:06 pm

that sno jet looks awesome. i have the torque reaction on my blizzard. i made a dual shock thing on it that doubled the travel without any other mods. i haven't ridden it yet to see if i got the bugs out of yet though. my rear arms sat farther back than the ones on the olympic so when i raised the rear it was still on those slides. i got a pic somewhere that i can post if you want.
1978 Ski Doo RV 340
1979 freestyle Blizzard 5500
1980 Polaris TX 440
1980 Ski Doo Blizzard 5500
1980 Arctic Cat panther 440- WIDENED.
1981 Ski Doo Blizzard MX 5500 (parts)
1983 Polaris indy 400
toocheaptosmoke

Postby Wheeler550 » September 14th, 2005, 2:42 pm

Sure! I'm curious to see if the dual shock holds up to the pounding. I'm still trying to figure out if I can mount a new polaris front. If that works I'll try the rear end to match the new height. Might end up with a Po-Doo or Skilaris.
Wheeler550

Postby redneckdan » September 14th, 2005, 2:49 pm

I finally got all the parts for my trorque reaction skid. I'm making new rear axle brakets so the skid will fit my 136 inch track. I'm purposely making them too long and then finding which dimensions work best. The sno jet and ski doo skids look so much alike that the first time I saw a snowjet, I thought they used skids from 'doo. I think the differrent length arms idea will work with the ski-doo sled. I'm pretty sure the arms are the same size though front to rear, my parts are down home but my parents are bring them up in two weeks. For my sell up, I'm dropping the skid on hanger tabs about 2-3 inches bellow the foot boards and then increasing the length of the limiter strap on the front and maybe replace the rear shock with a limiter strap. IF the ride is too rough I'll have to come up with a shock system. Eventually I would like to make a new set of arms out of aluminum, mainly to save weight but also to get them a little longer. I'll work on this as time allows and i'llbe sure to take very detailed notes and post a full report for all yall.
How much longer till it snows?
redneckdan

Next

Return to Vintage Sleds Board