Subscribe Today

billet aluminum motor mounts for sno jet.

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby AHood » January 5th, 2006, 10:23 am

im going to be making some billet aluminum motor mounts to replace the rubber mount bushings on my 75 sno jet. my motor came out of alignment some how( by belt pull force i assume) noticed it today and checked it with my alignment tool. so now im on a mission to make some solid mounts so the motor cant move ever. i will be making them for two of my sleds but if any of you guys are interested i can make some more. ill prob make extra and put them on ebay anyway.
these mounts will absolutly keep your clutches aligned and keep the correct center to center under hard acceleration. great for racing i might add
AHood

Postby 73elan » January 5th, 2006, 1:01 pm

so if i were to make some of these, i'd just be replicating the rubber mounts in billet aluminum? just trying to make sure this is what your saying, sounds like a good project.
1973 Ski-doo Elan 250
1976 Ski-doo Olympique 300
1978 Moto-ski Mirage
73elan

Postby AHood » January 5th, 2006, 2:03 pm

[quote=73elan]so if i were to make some of these, i'd just be replicating the rubber mounts in billet aluminum? just trying to make sure this is what your saying, sounds like a good project.[/quote]

yes reproduce the dimensions of the rubber bushing in aluminum and thats it.
AHood

Postby 73elan » January 5th, 2006, 2:10 pm

great, i'm going to be taking machining in the fall and i'm looking for projects i might be able to try.
1973 Ski-doo Elan 250
1976 Ski-doo Olympique 300
1978 Moto-ski Mirage
73elan

Postby Wheeler550 » January 5th, 2006, 4:01 pm

What about vibration?
Wheeler550

Postby AHood » January 6th, 2006, 2:01 am

[quote=Wheeler550]What about vibration?[/quote]

for racing and or hard use i wouldnt worry about vibration. i doubt there will be any significant increase in vibration felt through the chassis anyway. a twin cylinder engine that fires every 180 degrees balances itself. on a single cylinder engine you would probably feel more vibration.
AHood

Postby Uller God » January 6th, 2006, 3:52 am

Sounds like you have other issues with your Slow Jet Hoodlem. There's a reason why factory put rubber bushings in the motor mounts. The manu's today still have rubber in the motor mounts.
Uller God

Postby AHood » January 6th, 2006, 11:45 am

[quote=Uller God]Sounds like you have other issues with your Slow Jet Hoodlem. There's a reason why factory put rubber bushings in the motor mounts. The manu's today still have rubber in the motor mounts.[/quote]

i think not looser. thats what happens when your engine has more power than the factory intended it to have. it pulls the clutches out of alignment. please do me a favor and dont even reply to any posts. you have no info anyone needs
AHood

Postby Uller God » January 6th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Maybe you should call the "big 4" manufactures and inform them of this relevance. They've been building motor mounts wrong for all these years!
Uller God

Postby leo_kendall » January 6th, 2006, 12:20 pm

replace the rubber bushinngs with hockey puck shock. works for me. and if u don't use the bushing u might not seem to get much virbration but even the little of vibration can loosen nuts, one of the 2, put some rubber shocks or use 2 nuts and lock tight them. just my thoughts, but maybe your right. what ever you does i hope it works out for you.
blast from the past, how often do u change your underwear?????:?
leo_kendall

Next

Return to Vintage Sleds Board