Subscribe Today

Junior Racing

Junior Racing

Postby eab142racer » February 9th, 2006, 3:09 am

I think junior racing is getting out of hand. When I came up through the ranks i ran every class according to my age until I was 15.5. Then we petitioned to run in the stock 600F class because there was only two sleds in the junior II class. It is great to see all these kids wanting to race but let them race against themselves. Sure they all have tons of tallent some of those drivers are amazing for there weight and size, but they still are young and do need to learn some things. For an example of at the CPTC this year I raced against one of the fastest junior kids in a semi-pro class. His sled was fast as hell, but didn't handle at all and yet every single corner he would come in hotter and hotter and this was just the heat race. Then he did the same sort of thing in the final and crashed himself and another driver resulting in two totalled race sleds and 4 broken ribs. Like I said before I'm not bashing anybody I just think that the parents of these drivers should just wait a while. Besides junior racing isn't about winning or bringin home the money. Its about learning and having fun.
eab142racer

Junior Racing

Postby mvanstrydonk » February 9th, 2006, 8:04 am

I disagree with you on this subject. I was a spectator in corner 1 & 2 where this crash took place. The junior came into the corner at least 3 sleds in front of the rest,the sled high sided on him and when it was coming back down it caught a rut and it high sided again. Meanwhile one of the four sleds behind him also tipped and got into the other three sleds which put one of the drivers into the sled of which was driven by the junior which put those two sleds into the bank which had broken ribs on the other driver. This was the first race of the year and all the people are out to get the bugs worked out of there equipment and in this case a brand new sled. Tell me one person who can build a brand new sled and have it handling perfect the first time out. I know the father of this sled got some advice from some of the best people in this racing circuit to get the sled handling right. This same junior came back and took second in EAGLE RIVER. I think he has proven himself. I guess the best way to beat the competition is to eliminate the competition. I always thought competition was good but apparently not in your eyes.
mvanstrydonk

Junior Racing

Postby eab142racer » February 9th, 2006, 8:30 am

Like I said I wasn't trying to bash anyone. The driver you are talking about I personally have a lot of respect for. But my point was that he was high siding all weekend and kept pushing it. It probably was a bad example, I'm sorry. I hope there are no hard feelings. I just thought it was time somebody said something about this.
eab142racer

Junior Racing

Postby eab142racer » February 9th, 2006, 8:30 am

Like I said I wasn't trying to bash anyone. The driver you are talking about I personally have a lot of respect for. But my point was that he was high siding all weekend and kept pushing it. It probably was a bad example, I'm sorry. I hope there are no hard feelings. I just thought it was time somebody said something about this.
eab142racer

Junior Racing

Postby polaris_racer24 » February 9th, 2006, 12:32 pm

i agree with mvanstrydonk it takes awhile to get the sled worked out proper and to tell u they dont have good jr classes they should also have a jr440L and a jr600L and as we all know in racing there is bound to b crashes filpping etc nothing goes exactly perfect .... look at dustin for example he crashed he has been goin on that sled for how long no crashes .. it happens to every one just wait eab142racer ur time is comming
polaris_racer24

Junior Racing

Postby eab142racer » February 9th, 2006, 1:07 pm

Yes I agree totally but when an experienced driver knows that his sled isn't handling he doesn't get in the mix of things. So according to you guys we should let anybody run anywhere no matter what the age? Just drop all junior classes. My main point was the fact that there is to many kids petitioning to move up into the adult classes. Just wait like the rest of us. And believe me I had my share of ill handling sleds but I kept out of the mix so that I didn't endanger any other driver.

Like Mr. Fontaine said i don't want any hard feelings. I'm not the type to bash or pick fights. I just think that something had to be said.
eab142racer

Junior Racing

Postby Fontaine Racing » February 9th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Hey guys
SORRY I think I may have started this? since I have been the guy whining about JR.advancement. and I promise I will quit???
BUT FIRST I want to make sure that there are no hard feelings! just opinions!and if I didn't like USSA or respect there opinions, and rules, I wouldn't be whining! there is a gap in the pro-ice schedule, (Who we regularly race with) and we WANT TO COME RACE WITH YOU GUYS! and don't get me wrong we still can. just cant run the F500. maybe next year????? PLEASE
and 142 I am going to disagree with your theory. REMEMBER no hard feelings!!at (age 16) I went to 1st motocross race, (B class) that's were you start. (all ages) 2nd race I got taken out by a guy about (20 years old). my younger buddy (14 yeas old) wins the race. I tell him, your bike is newer, faster. this goes on all week. 3rd race my (14 year old buddy) says "lets switch bikes today" IM SMILING!! first heat, he schools me, and wins! 2nd heat I'm getting smoked again. wham! I get taken out by a guy driving way over his head, (about 25 years old). my younger buddy (14 years old) wins on my bike, and advances to A class. (next step up, talent wise) this is determined by points he has accumulated. he has no say. that's how you advance. by the first race the next season he had accumulated enough points where he was advanced to the expert class. I just got beat up on in b class then quit.
my point being, talent is not directly equated to age! more experienced people tend to make less mistakes!! you have 20 year old people out there racing in advanced classe, because they can, that doesn't mean they're good enough? according to WHO!!!
do you think that any kids have been chased out of the sport because they get beat up on by the same kid every weekend!! I know this has happened. and is happening. make the kids advancing faster move up. what do you think Wally made PJ. do? now he is one of the best things our sport has going for it!! Heck this is the way It's done in Kitty Kat racing!
Iam done now. REMEMBER that was just Doug's opinion, and no hard feelings. sounds like there will be a lot of racing going on this weekend GOOD LUCK to every one! BE SAFE!
Fontaine Racing

Junior Racing

Postby that 31 car » February 9th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Doug:
Thanks. I know some people can move up quicker than others, and there was a time it was easier to do just that. Right now regulations and insurance factors cause some of us to look at it differently. Each organization needs to chose its risk factor and go accordingly. Dale Loritz was a a young talented rider when alot of the guys now on this site were extremely young or in some cases not yet born, Dale was a young talent that grew through the system of the time, similar to PJ in this era. But reality is that the system has changed, much like our social climate has changed. In the 70's kids ran Merc 250 and 340 Twisters in Juniors, sleds that in reality handled evil, and made big speed. But the world has changed, people got hurt, people discovered lawyers, and the world changed. No one now says the young guys don't have talent, some have more than others, but responsibilities are different, the rules are different, and the risks are different. And yes, even some of the parents are different, junior racing has always had a strong bit of "little League parent" syndrome, and like racing, some parents handle it better than others. You are a prime example of understanding, perhaps not liking the rules, but understanding and concurring. I salute your understanding and attitude. You teach your family well. Teaching a kid to race is more than teaching him/her where the throttle is, its teaching when to stick your nose in, when not to, when to lean on a guy a little, and when it's strictly taboo. Racing is a blend of talent, style, fearlessness, and confidence, all blended with a touch of humility. Only a few have it, only a few can teach it. You do it well.
Good luck this week end.
Korinek
that 31 car

Junior Racing

Postby Fontaine Racing » February 9th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Jerry
Thanks for your words! and unfortunately things are changing. especially what you can get away with from a legality standpoint. nowadays you have to really C.Y.A.!! just got off the phone with our biggest sponsor, GREAT FRIEND, and fellow snowmobile racer. we were complaining to each other how business has picked up in the middle of race season, making time short. the difference is I am a one man drywall crew, he has a 9 office law firm, that says a lot about were our world is!! and 142 you are spot on, when you say it should be fun. Its our main focus and almost always works out that way. hope it does for you guys!
Fontaine Racing

Junior Racing

Postby GreenMeansGo » February 10th, 2006, 3:29 am

I totally agree that some kids have it and some don't (but they probably will in time). I have been directly involved with Jr racing for the last 7 years with WKCR. As the kids graduate from our club most of them have 3-4 years experince on Jr. Novice sleds. Most of them can easily make the jump to the USSA-WSA-etc... without a problem. I think the problem lies with the parents. I don't think it's the kids who petion to move up as much as the parents pushing them to move to classes they might not handle as well. Now with everyone moving up all the time it clears out the Jr. Novice classes so that anyone looking to get started with a 10-13 year old and run similar age and equipment is screwed because all the 10-13 year olds already petioned to move up. Hence the reason there is hardly anyone in the Jr Novice class. My opion is if there is an age limit rule is should be enforced. Do you think a kid that can handle a Jr 2 sled at 13 WON'T be able to handle it when they are 14 or 15? I guess it just comes down to PATIENTS Take your time let the kids learn the ropes and enjoy racing for what it is. When they are of age then they will be that much better. Can you petion the DMV to give a child their drivers licence at 14 because they drive really good?
GreenMeansGo

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros