Subscribe Today

St.Ignace or Paradise

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

St.Ignace or Paradise

Postby zzxj0s » November 8th, 2006, 7:33 am

I was planning to go to St Ignace the last week of December but someone mentioned that there won't be a lot of snow there at that time and to go further up to Paradise instead. So I thought I would hit up the experts here about whether I should leave the St. Ignace plans in place to just plan and going all the way to Paradise.
zzxj0s

St.Ignace or Paradise

Postby mach1mikeM1M » November 8th, 2006, 9:26 am

Paradise should have more snow.Grand Marais or Munising would be the better bet for a guarantee of snow.
mach1mikeM1M

St.Ignace or Paradise

Postby Long time cat man » November 8th, 2006, 1:52 pm

I enjoy riding out of the St. Ignace area, but last week in December is usually a bit early. Newberry and north is more likely to have ridable snow. That said, that week is always busier than hell up there, and Paradise can be very busy. But get reservations early, that week books up quickly.
Long time cat man

St.Ignace or Paradise

Postby SkidooQueen » November 10th, 2006, 3:08 am

In the 12 yrs I owned the motel in NBY, St Ignace was always too questionable. On years where they have lots of snow, it is still difficult to get in and out of St Ignace. Most "normal" yrs trout lake is fine and northward. It seems like the last several yrs. we have hardly had decent snow in NBY. The problem with a lot of areas including NBY is find out if you have direct access to the trails because a lot of towns will have street riding to get to the trails and on those seasons where it is not snowing hard enough to stay on the streets you have alot of bare pavement to ride (like in NBY) You can ride south out of NBY on trails, but to go north (which is where the snow is) you have to ride quite a distance through town to get to the North trail. Yes you have to get reservations decided pretty quick cause things at christmas book up fast, and rarely get a canceallation policy. I would say Grand Marais or Munising would be your best be.
I used to have super human powers, until my therapist took them away ;)
SkidooQueen

St.Ignace or Paradise

Postby zzxj0s » November 10th, 2006, 3:41 am

Thanks all I have changed my plans and am going up to Newberry. Hopefully we won't have to trailer out of town to find some snow.

Will have to start praying to the snow gods
zzxj0s

St.Ignace or Paradise

Postby SkidooQueen » November 11th, 2006, 1:33 am

I don't know who has openings there, but one option is to stay out at Pine stump junction, about 20 miles north of NBY at the Winter Haven Motel (not very fancy) has a bar/restaurant next door to it and right on the trail or you can check at the Halfway lake resort that has cabins for rent, they are about 8 miles from NBY and just a short ride (about a mile down the road) to the Wolf Inn which is a restaurant/bar and both places have gas by them. These 2 places you won't have to sled the streets out of town.
SkidooQueen

St.Ignace or Paradise

Postby zzxj0s » November 11th, 2006, 6:27 am

Park-A-Way had a spot for us. Should have waited for your post SkiDooQueen looks like your suggestions are a better choice.
zzxj0s

St.Ignace or Paradise

Postby mach1mikeM1M » November 11th, 2006, 7:50 am

zzx,queen is right nice places to stay.Not to late to cancel your plans.
mach1mikeM1M

St.Ignace or Paradise

Postby SkidooQueen » November 11th, 2006, 11:30 pm

Yeah I know the Park A way well and it is a great location, restaurants and gas acrossed the street, but all of the motels in town you have to sled the streets to get to the North trail (which is normally where the first snow is) Lets just hope everyone has lots of snow this Christmas time(eastern and Western U.P. My snow dance is now for the western U.P) and sledding on the streets maybe won't be an issue. Also remember by being in town of NBY there is a 11 p.m. curfew for the village limits, if you are new and late riders, email me and I will tell you an alternate route back to your hotel. I know all of the motels/hotels there.
SkidooQueen

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum