Subscribe Today

Polaris snowmobiles soon to be extinct

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Klide » January 5th, 2007, 10:24 am

I have herd from a few people now that 2 years from now Polaris will no longer be manufacturing snowmobiles. I am not exactly sure how true this statement is so I'm checking to see if anybody else does. Let me know if anyone has any info.

I have just talked to a couple Polaris dealers they said it is not set in stone yet but as of now Polaris will be discontinuing snowmobiles in 2 years. They said they are turning their focuses more towards ATV's because of the poor winters and lack of snowmobile sales. They said ATV's are a lot more practical and the market is doing a lot better. Being it is not set in stone yet they are not enouncing that they will be discontinuing snowmobiles.
Klide

Postby *RABID » January 5th, 2007, 11:42 am

I've seen the posts on this...
But I really don't see the underlying reason why they would?

They could simply reduce the number of units manufactured and focus on the [i]sweet spot[/i] in the market. Discontinuing or decreasing the production of the less viable segments.

BRP has it worse with the Kawi litigation against SeaDoo...
And AC is a smaller company with lots of leftovers and buybacks.

But I guess anything is possible with very little notice.
*RABID

Postby whitedust » January 5th, 2007, 12:32 pm

So Polaris has a 2 year plan to discontinue snowmobiles? I doubt it. When Polaris discontinued PWCS their line was good and rather new but one day they pulled the plug. Maybe management has said get this mess cleaned up in 2 years or else. What does or else mean?
whitedust

Postby Jpak 7p » January 5th, 2007, 2:05 pm

A few years back, Yamaha offered a small lineup with minimal choices. Something Polaris could do until they perfect a new release model. Polaris just needs to get their heads out of their a$$es, and figure out what the customers already know. Why haven't they expanded the IQ chassis to house the XC500 or Indy 500 engine. Another reason the 2006 Fusions sucked is graphics. The only Fusion that looked good was the snowchecked XR. The right graphics would have helped the Fusion big time.

Either way, I doubt they will leave the Snowmobile business. This was there bread and butter for years, so I doubt they will turn their back to this industry.
Jpak 7p

Postby Bar It! » January 5th, 2007, 3:17 pm

Jpak; why not? Bombardier did, to their recreational products division.
Give us this day our daily braaaaaaaap!
Bar It!

Postby sweetxc654 » January 5th, 2007, 4:37 pm

I seriously doubt that polaris will quit making sleds!
From what I've read is lots of people at polaris got fired and new management in key areas is in place. It will take a few years but polaris will be back on top.

According to Polaris they needed to get the 600 and 700 market back first becasue that is were most sales are.

The indy 500 motor is dead and probably will never return in any chasis.

A big block motor is in the works but we probably won't see it for a couple of years unless Polaris is farther ahead on R&D than they lead us to believe.

I doubt any graphics pakages would have helped the fusions they were just ugly. The only sled the looked nice was the rmk and now all the IQ chasis sleds have the rmk hood and belly pan.
sweetxc654

Postby Skiduders » January 5th, 2007, 4:45 pm

I think the worst case scenario would be a division sale. And you know someone will be buying.... unless the snow doesn't return.... then all is lost!!!! lol.

Anyway, you can bet that the "Polaris" moniker will be around for many more years.....
Skiduders

Postby Yoo » January 5th, 2007, 6:51 pm

Not even a slim chance. Anyone want to make any wagers?
They'll make the neccessary cuts, changes, and stay in the business for many, many, many years.

They are just a little behind the times on the development of a 4 stroke, that's all. Like about 5 years behind...
Yoo

Postby Klide » January 6th, 2007, 6:41 am

It is possible that they might do something like Yamaha did and drop out of snow cross and or part of their production line.

Part of the reason that Polaris is still a little behind on R&D is that when sleds were becoming popular Polaris spent most of their time and money on building and producing their own motors instead of doing what Arctic Cat did using Kawasaki and Suzuki as their power plant. But if you look back Polaris has always been a little slower than other manufactures at updating and changing their chassis.
Klide

Postby Klide » January 6th, 2007, 7:38 am

I have just talked to a couple Polaris dealers they said it is not set in stone yet but as of now Polaris will be discontinuing snowmobiles in 2 years. They said they are turning their focuses more towards ATV's because of the poor winters and lack of snowmobile sales. They said ATV's are a lot more practical and the market is doing a lot better. Being it is not set in stone yet they are not enouncing that they will be discontinuing snowmobiles.
Klide

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum