Subscribe Today

What Is Next For 2009?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

What Is Next For 2009?

Postby whitedust » November 17th, 2007, 4:21 am

Read today Doo building new R&D facility at ROTAX for next generation motors. My thinking is finally 4s tech from Doo in future. Doo makes best 2s but frozen cranks & flaking rings have hurt them a long the way. Polaris on the other hand struggling with injected 2s engine technology & Cat missed core market with heavy twin spar chassis. Polaris improved sleds but same old same old. Cat supposed to have something light & lively for 2009, doo will refine XP and Yamaha supposed to have something big too but can't figure out what is missing at Yamaha? Yamaha has a way of releasing new tech that makes previous technology archaic which is great for used sled market. 2003 RX1 ton, 2004 RX1 weight reduction, RX1 2005 Monoshock RA, 2006 Apex rider forward, 2007 Apex EFI, 2008 Apex weight reduction & better monoshock calibrations. Along the way Phaser 80 HP & FX 130 HP 4s bump sleds. Is the Apex being replaced or what do think is missing?
Pete
whitedust

What Is Next For 2009?

Postby MM700 » November 19th, 2007, 12:47 am

Pete...my guess is they will replace the apex...I'd love to see a super charged nytro...it would cream any of the current muscle sleds.

I think we will also see the vector get the nytro engine, and I think yamaha will build a nytro ltx for next season.
MM700

What Is Next For 2009?

Postby Snotcicles » November 19th, 2007, 4:20 am

Why would Doo put that heavy fourstoke into the light XP chassis? They have the lightest sleds you can get and they have proven you can have a clean two-stroke with great fuel economy. They won't have the boat anchor fourstoke as a sole powerplant anytime soon. The real question is, when is Yamaha finally gonna put out a lightwieght two-stroke sled that can match the others in terms of performance and emissions based on engine size. Cat and Poo are hegding between the two motors to give thier customers a choice.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Snotcicles

What Is Next For 2009?

Postby MM700 » November 19th, 2007, 4:52 am

[quote=Snotcicles]Why would Doo put that heavy fourstoke into the light XP chassis? They have the lightest sleds you can get and they have proven you can have a clean two-stroke with great fuel economy. They won't have the boat anchor fourstoke as a sole powerplant anytime soon. The real question is, when is Yamaha finally gonna put out a lightwieght two-stroke sled that can match the others in terms of performance and emissions based on engine size. Cat and Poo are hegding between the two motors to give thier customers a choice.[/quote]

The Yamaha 4 strokes keep getting lighter, and their performance keeps getting better...When you say "match performance" do you mean cc size or HP????

Even if you personally disagree with it...4 strokes intrigue people..even if ski-doo makes the best lightweight 2 stroke...if consumers want 4 strokes, and ski-doo believes they will sell...they will build them....as I mentioned, every year yamaha makes em lighter, and perform better..I used to doubt that four strokes would ever be as light as two strokes...not anymore...two strokes are old tech.

Snotty can you imagine a turbo/super charged 4 stroke in the new rev chassis??? The new mach z??? Power to weight wise it would be tough to beat that.
MM700

What Is Next For 2009?

Postby morsno » November 19th, 2007, 6:00 am

I really question the Polaris is same old, same old. Polaris has the best setup on the snow today. I agree Ski-Doo is setting the trend for weight and ride forward. Yamaha is on top of 4s, but needs to work on suspension. AC has a lot of work to reduce weight and improve performance.
morsno

What Is Next For 2009?

Postby *RABID » November 19th, 2007, 7:27 am

I would submit few to none short term changes in the areas described. DOO will need to adjust to the currency change, and the transfer of the Can Am division to Mexico.
POO and CAT will just work to recover North American market share.
*RABID

What Is Next For 2009?

Postby Snotcicles » November 19th, 2007, 8:13 am

And under 400 lbs.? No. Cause it aint gonna happen. Some people, groomed trail riders mostly, are the ones that would buy a fourstroke, but the boondockers and the aggressive guys, and girls, want lightweight and high performance. Cripes, the new slug Nytro is still 565 ready to ride. And it takes 'em 1050 cc's to get 130HP. Twostrokes are hitting that with 600cc's. Let's see Yamaha build a lightweight twostoke for the nytro, maybe then you will have something to brag about.
Whitedust, why don't you jump over to the trash side for a little fun. These veiled trashes in the shallow end of the pool only make MM feel good, we will play nice.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Snotcicles

What Is Next For 2009?

Postby whitedust » November 19th, 2007, 8:31 am

Yamaha has the slickest marketing department & knows how to seal off core market & then go get incremental business. AC turned their backs on core market with Twin Spar that was too heavy for Firecat lovers. Firecat guys are waiting & AC new race sled may be platform to sell a consumer sled that is light & lively. morso come on Pol is same old, same old but better same old, same old. Pol is dialing in IQ because that is all they can do with R&D budget & no deals on the Pol. sleds is hurting them. If you have to pay top dollar Pol won't get my bucks tech is not worth it 2s or 4s better options out there. mm700 you & I think alike that a light doo with a ROTAX 4s would be one kick butt sled & Doo will need to address 4s soon. Snots 4s is coming on strong & EFI 2s can only do so much then burndown within 10K miles. MM700 I would not like to see Apex 150HP rider forward go away but think you are right that 130HP power cruiser may be what is next. As much as I would like to see Yamaha turbos they have not embraced Turbo but developed straight up HP via new engines. Apex fits me so well I would like to see it for another year but Yamaha keeps moving on & keeps customers coming back for more so probably gone in 2009. Rabid as I respect your opinon I do think more is coming than just work harder on existing platforms. That is not enough to keep market share. On another non bias website 5 poo Classic riders all bought Apex long tracks embraced Yammys goodbye Poos.
whitedust

What Is Next For 2009?

Postby whitedust » November 19th, 2007, 8:41 am

Thank you very much Snotty we will keep it over here where some thought goes into responses not just bash, bash, bash as can go on the trasher side. They can come over here but have to play board rules.
whitedust

What Is Next For 2009?

Postby MM700 » November 19th, 2007, 9:11 am

[quote=Snotcicles]And under 400 lbs.? No. Cause it aint gonna happen. Some people, groomed trail riders mostly, are the ones that would buy a fourstroke, but the boondockers and the aggressive guys, and girls, want lightweight and high performance. Cripes, the new slug Nytro is still 565 ready to ride. And it takes 'em 1050 cc's to get 130HP. Twostrokes are hitting that with 600cc's. Let's see Yamaha build a lightweight twostoke for the nytro, maybe then you will have something to brag about.
Whitedust, why don't you jump over to the trash side for a little fun. These veiled trashes in the shallow end of the pool only make MM feel good, we will play nice.[/quote]

Wouldn't you******yourself..if I bought an artic cat....lmao
MM700

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum