Subscribe Today

Burk's Falls Racing Photos

Postby CDNTAC » February 7th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Hi,

I was taking pics of the racing in Burk's Falls today and Friday for the local paper. One of the young racers said that people on this forum would like to see the shots.

If any drivers want a high-resolution file e-mailed to them I can be contacted at skynewspow@aol.com. No charge for the photos.

Saturday was a tough day for photos due to the dull-coloured sky. Still, many came out ok. I tried to get as many shots as possible but I'm sure I missed many drivers. I tried though!

I put low-resolution pics onto Photobucket. You can view a slide show of almost 100 pics here: [url=http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss193/tdcarls/?albumview=slideshow]http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss193/tdcarls/?albumview=slideshow[/url]

For those who want to look at each shot individually: [url=http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss193/tdcarls/]http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss193/tdcarls/[/url]

*****Added Monday*****

I've uploaded all the pics I have. I think there is now 165 pics from the weekend.

Todd
CDNTAC

Postby WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF » February 8th, 2009, 1:32 am

Todd,

The light may have been overcast and dull but those pictures are some of the best I've seen here on this site. Well done! Hopefully you will post some from todays action. I would like to see some of the team members included in a few of those shots. You action shots were great! David
DAVID RIEMENSCHNEIDER
WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF

Postby CDNTAC » February 8th, 2009, 1:37 am

Thanks!

I agree with you about the team members but it's tough to be trackside and in the pit taking pics at the same time. ;)

Today appears to be partly-cloudy so the colours should be more vibrant. From a photographers point of view, some sleds photograph better due to their paint jobs. Villeneuve's bright colours make it stand out as does Nick Lagoi's #96.
CDNTAC

Postby WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF » February 8th, 2009, 3:04 am

Todd,

You did a great job in locating yourself for the action comming out of the corner. I thought you might get a few shots of Marcel and the pit crews helping in stagging and taking off the boots as they enter the track. Another nice shot is comming into corner one, after the holeshot.Don't stick yourself somewhere you get tee boned by a sled. Build yourself a escape hole you can dive into in case a sled is comming your way. The track workers or Marcel's group would be glad to help you with that.I never wanted a flag man or photographer in harms way without somewhere to dive. Really nice pictures!
DAVID RIEMENSCHNEIDER
WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF

Postby Flatout's Girl » February 8th, 2009, 3:29 am

Hi Todd,

You got an amazing sequence of Felipe Roy-Lalonde and his sled going for a ride!! I hope Philipe is OK ... in your last shot of the series it looks like he's putting up his hand to hold off the sled as it flies (hopefully) above him!

As a professional photographer and team photographer for Gifford Brothers Racing, I know how hard it is to get great shots - you've got a really good eye!

My only advice would be, when you're shooting action shots on the track where a large part of your image will be the track itself (versus pit or paddock shots which are primarily people & sleds), set your camera to over-expose by up to one f-stop - that way the snow will be whiter and the sleds' colours will "pop" :-)

I'm not at the race this weekend and you've got some really great pics of our driver, Jeff DeJong, so I'll be in touch - we'd love to have some of your pics to put up on Jeff's website, [url=http://www.dejongmotorsports.com/]DeJong Motorsports[/url] (with photo credit, of course :-)

Marci Gifford
[b]Flatout's Girl[/b]
Flatout's Girl

Postby CDNTAC » February 8th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Thanks!

The driver walked away from that crash unharmed --- at least as far as I could tell.

I have a lot more shots from Sunday --- with many of them being shots of drivers holding the checkered flag.

I should have time to go through them tomorrow...hopefully!

Keep checking back to see if I have them all uploaded. There's probably at least three or four dozen more.

Todd
CDNTAC

Postby dezldave961 » February 8th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Great pics.

The driver of the 71 in the crash Saturday was Jean LeSieur (wears #79 jacket, Felipe wears the #71 jacket). Jean was walking around the pits Sunday, and seems fine. He definitely ran good beforehand, winning a heat ahead of Lavallee and Jacques to start the weekend.

As Marcel said during the presentation, the photos of Jean's crash in-action were very cool (aside from the fact that he crashed).

- Davey Jr.
dezldave961

Postby Flatout's Girl » February 9th, 2009, 1:58 am

Thanks Davey Jr,

You're right, of course (Howard also clarified that for me when he got home last night) ... I couldn't remember who was driving the 71 sled so I went by Marcel's Saturday results, which only listed Philipe as # 71. I had forgotten that Philipe drives the sled in Semi Pro Champ and Jean drives it in Pro Champ. I guess I wasn't very observant cuz I didn't notice the 79 on the driver's jacket!!

Glad to hear Jean's ok!

Marci Gifford
[b]Flatout's Girl[/b]
Flatout's Girl

Postby Kenyon_111indy » February 9th, 2009, 5:54 am

lol That was a fun race! I unfortunately wiped out coming into turn one on sunday hot laps. I couldn't race because I wrecked the whole throttle assembly. I was on the 111 indy 340. That's a pretty tippy sled!
Polar racing #111
Kenyon_111indy

Postby Flatout » February 9th, 2009, 6:42 am

It was good to see you out there Kenyon! Ice oval racing is a ton of fun. You need to get your sled dialed in a bit more and I think you have the dad to do it. It takes balls just to get out on the track and "give'er". Im sure you will be one of the hot drivers in that class once you get your sled setup.
Good luck in Valcourt!
Howard..
Flatout

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros