Subscribe Today

'01ZRT800 - Good trail sled too?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby erinchristyn » October 6th, 2001, 2:16 am

Have no doubt about this sleds lake speeds but am unsure about the trail riding capabilities.. I ride a combo of flat trails and twisty stuff (UP of Michigan). Am serious about this sled but haven't ridden one to know how it will handle. Any comments from you big triple riders would be appreciated. Thanks-
erinchristyn

Postby RyMachZ » October 6th, 2001, 8:46 am

It's a triple, the twins would burn you on the trails.

Go buy one with out the "t" and you'll be just fine.
RyMachZ

Postby tcat2 » October 8th, 2001, 4:27 pm

Depends on your definition of "Good". I had a ZRT 800. Two years ago I moved up to a Thundercat 1000(Also had a T-cat 900). I'm lucky because I have 260lbs to throw around so handling a big sled isn't a problem.
As far as Twins Vs Tripples, don't believe all you read. If you know how to ride, either will be fine. No twin has ever left me in the dust. Of course, that may be the result of 30 years of experience riding a sled. A twin might have an advantage up to 25-30 mph, but the tripple will have the advantage above that speed.
With all that said ... If I know I will be in the trails all day, and won't need the top end speed, I ride my ZR 600. Because it is lighter and it's easier to ride all day long (A lot less weight to be throwing around in the trees). Unfortunatly, I sometimes need to ride 20-30+ miles on the lake to get to the trails. I can travel that a lot faster on the 800 or T-Cat. Nobody I ride with has less than an 800 ... any brand.
If I find a used one for a reasonable price, I move up to a ZR 800 and either sell the 600 or keep it for a spare sled for inexperienced riders. ZR 800 twin has about the same weight, more power.
Long Live the Tripples !!!!
tcat2

Postby Luv2sled » October 9th, 2001, 1:03 am

If your big and strong and not some scrawny runt the ZRT 800 will be fine for you. They handle OK but not as well as a zrt or zl 600.
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

Postby IndyT-cat » October 9th, 2001, 1:11 pm

I completely agree with Tcat2. You won't have any problems with this sled. I throw my Tcat around in the trails with very little effort. It goes where I want it to and I've never had a prolem with pushing in the corners. Great trail manners.
IndyT-cat

Postby 2k2mxz6 » October 10th, 2001, 11:48 am

Forget about a triple,get a twin. Tucker and Blair could not win on a triple. These guys who are BIG and brauny are in no shape to talk,they are out of shape and can only ride in a strait line.Do yourself a favor and get a 8oo twin.

2k2mxz6

Postby tcat2 » October 10th, 2001, 1:48 pm

Took a look at the Arctic Cat website again ... says the 2001 800 ZRT weighs about 80lbs more than the twin(499lbs vs 576lbs) It weighs the same as the Thundercat, which I ride.
Those are the dry weight numbers, fully loaded they will be a bit heavier. Although 80lbs is significant, it's not a deal breaker for a sled with 140HP+/-. It should handle just fine, especially with propper studding and carbides. That is unless you decide to race Snowcross ... then get a 440 Sno Pro.
As far as Morgan and Tucker not winning on tripples ... True, But what does that have to do with a trail sled? And for that matter, what does that have to do with the question he asked?
Snowcross isn't exactly a speed sport. They are typically small displacement sleds that don't need a big top end speed. In a sport where every little weight savings makes a difference, what is the sense of making 440 or 700 tripple? The weight isn't worth it. They need every little advantage they can get.
Oh yea ... and that crack about the beefy guys not being in shape .... pretty bold from someone who has no clue who they are talking too. Sounds like someone suffering from "Little Man's Syndrome". Anytime you want to go for a run, let me know.
Long Live the Tripples !!!!
tcat2

Postby IndyT-cat » October 10th, 2001, 2:38 pm

Question for 2K2MXZ6: Have you ever rode or ridden with a Tcat? I ride in tight twisty trails and I spend very little time on the Lakes Drag racing. Matter of fact, I've drag raced maybe a total of a dozen times in the 3 years I've had the sled. I ride with people who ride 500, 600 twins,800 twins, and 700/800 triples. I have never been "left behind" or ever held up the group. Matter of fact I'm usually 1/2 a mile up the trail cruising along waiting on people to catch up. As for being BIG and BRAWNY you would be quite surprised at my size. I ride the Tcat for its ride and handling. The 1000cc motor thats been piped and clutched is the added bonus to a fine sled. Eats 600s like candy.
IndyT-cat

Postby 2k2mxz6 » October 10th, 2001, 9:15 pm

Yes, I weigh 150. As far as riding you only know until you show up.Let see you and youre tcat feep up to Todd Wolf and his 440.The only things tripples are good for are story telling.If you have to get a tripple, get a Yamaha SRX,Viper or a late model XCR,OR Triumph. up on very rough twisty roads,it could not even see me in or around the woods.He would blow by me like i was tied to a pole on straits.If it was my choice I
2k2mxz6

Postby IndyT-cat » October 10th, 2001, 11:05 pm

Young gun without a clue. If you want to trash talk it's on the other board, We were trying to let this guy know the handling characteristics of an Arctic Cat that is of simular weight and and age as our T cats. Sure I'll promote AC because I ride them. I have ridden other brands, Yamaha( I actually own a v-max 500,and a 78 enticer 340, Kawasaki 440, Polaris 340) so how is that for brand diversification??? I've been riding for many years and still love the way my T-cat rides and handles.
IndyT-cat

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum